Frequently Asked Questions

Health Services

What is Student Health Services (SHS)?

The Student Health Services is a resource for health information and education for graduate students and no longer offers direct patient care.  Please contact us directly for further information. 

I feel sick. What should I do?

Keeping in mind your personal factors such as your age, current health problems, and past health history, here are some questions to ask yourself that can help you decide if you should contact a healthcare provider:

• Do I sense that something is urgently wrong? Start here. Trust your instincts and see a doctor if you sense that you need immediate medical attention. Always investigate symptoms such as chest pains, shortness of breath, loss of consciousness, or new severe physical pain.

• What are my symptoms? Have I had them before? If so, how did they get resolved? Would the same approach work now or is there something different about the symptoms this time? Could they be related to a recent condition or procedure or medication?

• How long have the symptoms been going on? Are they getting better or worse? Generally any symptoms that are not improving after one to two weeks are worth pursuing with a healthcare provider. Pay attention to symptoms that are getting worse (and consider the first question).

• What do I really think would be best for my health (ignoring any worries that I will be a bother if I go to the doctor, or that it will cost too much)?


If you do not have a regular healthcare provider, please visit our resources page

What If I have an emergency?

If you are at the Graduate Center, call Security at x7777 immediately. They can get help to you most rapidly.  For an emergency outside of the Graduate Center, we recommend that you first call 911, which can provide the necessary service to help you and, if indicated, transport you to an emergency room. 

If, after considering the recommendations above, you determine that you can safely seek emergency care on your own, there are numerous emergency and urgent care services located in major medical facilities throughout New York City.  Please refer to the Resources/Healthcare Facilities section on this website for further information.

I need some over-the-counter medication, can I obtain this from the Wellness Center?

Medical care is no longer provided here and the Wellness Center's administrative staff is not authorized to dispense any over-the-counter medication or first aid supplies.

I am a staff member/adjunct faculty/temporary student/visiting scholar, am I eligible for services at the Wellness Center?

Wellness Center services are specifically intended for matriculated registered students of The Graduate Center and the Craig Newmark Graduate School of Journalism at CUNY.  However, some of our presentations and events, such as the annual Wellness Festival, as well as our online information services, are open to all in the GC community.  Announcements for events and presentations will specify if they are open to the entire GC community, or you may contact us for this information.

I'm an incoming Grad Center student. How do I go about submitting proof of immunizations?

Per New York State law, all incoming students MUST submit proof of immunizations in order to be able to register for classes. All immunization requirements and forms can be found on our Immunization page. Often the easiest way to obtain your immunization records is to request them from your undergraduate college. Even if you attended another CUNY college for undergrad, you should confirm that we have your immunization records on file and up-to-date.  You can do this by sending an email to: and provide your EMPL ID (if available).

Alternatively, please visit our Immunizations page to locate outside health clinics that will provide vaccinations free of charge. If you have one, consult your Primary Care Physician for immunization records or to request a blood test showing immunity.

Lastly, Meningococcal Meningitis shots are NOT required. However failure to properly complete and submit the response form will result in a registration hold.

How do I obtain a copy of my immunization records?

Please fill out the immunization record request form and allow 3 business days processing time. 

You may drop off, fax, or email the request form:
Wellness Center
Student Health Services
365 Fifth Avenue, Suite 6422
New York, NY 10016
212-817-7020 (phone)
212-817-1602 (fax)

Please note that we keep immunization records on file 7 years from the date of admission.

I’m a Graduate Center student at another campus. Since direct patient care if no longer offered here, can I go to the Student Health Service on my home campus?

If you are registered as a Graduate Center student and pay your tuition here, you will not be able to use the health center at another campus, despite the fact that direct patient care is no longer offered here. Students, graduate or undergraduate must go to the health center at the school where they are registered and pay tuition.  E-permit students seeking services must similarly go to the campus where they pay tuition, not where they are permitted to take a class. If you have further questions, please call us at 212-817-7020.

What about Psychological Counseling?

Psychological Counseling is available at the GC Wellness Center. Visit Student Counseling Services for more info.