Human Resources Processing
The instructions apply to all students who are recipients of a) one-year Graduate Assistant B and/or Graduate Assistant D appointments, and/or b) multi-year fellowships:
- Graduate Center Fellows
- CUNY Science Scholars
- Science Fellows
- Provost's Enhancement Fellows
- Neuroscience Fellows
- Mathematics Fellows
Students who are receiving a tuition award or tuition fellowship only are not required to attend an HR Orientation.
(See the following link for more information about these positions. If you are unsure about your award/position, check your status on Student Web.)
In order to proceed with your fellowship or Graduate Assistant appointment, please follow the instructions below:
1. Please plan to attend an orientation provided by The Office of Human Resources at ONE STOP in order to proceed with your appointment and payroll processing. Orientations will be held on Wednesday, August 16th, Thursday, August 17th, and Friday, August 18th at 9:30 am and 2:00 pm. International students are to attend an orientation on Thursday, August 17th at either 9:30 am or 2:00 pm. Please plan to arrive 1/2 hour prior to the scheduled start time to check in and submit documents. All incoming Graduate Assistants, please register* on-line for one of the orientations.
*Your Graduate Center student identification number is required for this registration.
2. Download the fillable new hire package which is available HERE, which must be completed prior to attending orientation. (Please be sure to review all of the policies prior to attending orientation and complete the mandatory CUNY trainings.)
Please review the commuter benefits program, WageWorks, and go to their website HERE for additional information. Please note that you cannot enroll online.
(It is expected that you will have questions regarding some forms and other matters, which will be addressed at the orientation.)
3. Please bring the following documents to the orientation:
a. Completed, new hire package (HERE)
b. Employment eligibility documents (Please see the list of acceptable employment eligibility documents on the I-9 form)
c. Original Social Security Card. If you are an international student and do not have one, you will be provided with instructions by the Office of International Students at your check-in orientation on how to apply for one. If you lost your social security card, you may apply for a new card online HERE. Please apply before attending orientation and bring the confirmation that you applied for a duplicate card with you.
d. International Students must bring their I-20, passport, visa, I-94, and the CUNY Foreign Student Employment Status Verification Form
e. Direct Deposit: Please note that if you have a joint account and you wish to enroll in direct deposit, the form must have the signature of both parties. (A voided check is required, if the form is not signed by your bank.)
f. Documents for NYSHIP family health insurance coverage include original: birth certificate and social security card for each family member enrolled and marriage certificate if applicable. For domestic partner documentation, please go HERE. Please direct NYSHIP questions to Scott Voorhees at 212-817-7400 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. As a Graduate Assistant you are eligible to join TIAA-CREF or Halliday Financial Group TDA Plan and the New York State Deferred Compensation Plan (457).
a. Teacher’s Insurance Annuity Associate-College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF) 1-800-842-2776, www.tiaa-cref.org/cuny
b. NYS Deferred Compensation Plan (457) 1-800-422-8463, www.nysdcp.com. Please contact the Plan(s) directly for enrollment information.
If you have any questions regarding the HR orientation please feel free to contact Lonette Spencer in Human Resources at (212) 817-7700 or via email: email@example.com. Please direct NYSHIP questions to Scott Voorhees at 212-817-7400 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.