Student Emergency Grant Fund
The Carroll and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Grant Fund, made possible by generous support from The Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation, provides quick-response grants typically up to $2,000 to Graduate Center students who are facing current short-term financial emergencies. With the fund, the Graduate Center seeks to assist students to complete their education, rather than take a leave of absence or withdraw from school.
Examples of such emergencies include:
- Overdue utilities bills and shut-off notices
- Rent in arrears, at risk for eviction
- Housing assistance for homelessness
- Medical and dental bills for uninsured non-elective procedures
- Destruction of living quarters, due to fire or other natural disaster
- Theft of computer, books, clothing, or other essential belongings
- Assistance in paying for food, transportation, and basic necessities due to recent financial difficulty
- Emergency child care for legal dependents
- Travel home for illness or death in the immediate family
Petrie Emergency Grants will not be given for:
Current or past Graduate Center tuition charges
Student loan repayment
Matriculated students in good standing, who are experiencing a current and unforeseen financial emergency, are eligible to apply for emergency fund assistance once per year.
The application is available via pdf.
Completed applications will be reviewed by the Petrie Committee within 3-5 business days of receipt. Additional information may be requested.