Show The Graduate Center Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Digital Humanities MA

Are there any health insurance options for students?

You may find health insurance options on the GC Health and Wellness website. On that page, there is a detailed Student Health Insurance Guide under "Uninsured Students."

Are there fellowships and scholarships available for students?

There is no institutional aid for Master’s students; however, there is federal aid.
International students can look up their eligibility for financial aid at the website of the Office of US Department of Education. 

Federal Aid Information

A few key points: Students must be registered for at least 6 credits to receive federal aid (Perkins, work study, Stafford and Graduate PLUS). The amount of federal aid a student is eligible for is based on the number of credits the student registers for, a standardized cost of living amount, and the student’s financial need. If a student drops from 9 to 6 credits, their aid eligibility decreases by the cost of those three credits. If a student drops from 6 to 3 credits, all of their federal aid would be cancelled.

If a student completely withdraws from all classes prior to the 60% point of the the policy on our website comes into effect. The 60% point is also when students who completely withdraw are entitled to keep their loans. Any student who completely withdraws from their classes will give up any remaining work study eligibility.

For detailed information, visit

As a Master’s student, can I participate in a Certificate Program?

It depends. Some certificate programs, such as the Interactive Technology and Pedagogy Certificate Program, welcome students into classes and will provide a letter saying that a master's student has completed certificate requirements. Certificate programs cannot grant official certificates to Master's students, unfortunately.

Can I enroll as a part-time student?

Yes, students can enroll for one or more courses per semester. Please visit the Tuition and Fees page on the Admissions website for current information.

Can I take summer courses?

Yes, the program will aim to offer at least one course each summer. Elective courses may be taken from other programs, such as MALS.

Can I transfer from MALS to the MA Program?

Yes. Please contact the Program Director for more information.

Can I transfer from the MA Program to MALS?

Yes. Please contact the MALS Executive Officer for more information.

Do you offer online courses?


Does the Graduate Center offer career planning services for Master’s students?

Yes. You may find sources specifically designed for Master’s students in interviewing, networking, job searching, resume building, and applying for a PhD through the Office of Career Planning and Professional Development.

Does the program offer classes at night or on weekends?

Some courses are offered on weeknights from 6:30-8:30 pm. There are no weekend classes.

How do I apply to the program?

Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for admission:

In order to be eligible for admission, applicants must have completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university or its international equivalent. 

Please consult the Graduate Center website for upcoming admissions deadlines and requirements. Prospective students may apply using these application instructions and forms.

How do I find a capstone advisor?

A capstone advisor is usually one of your professors. Capstone advisors must be members of the Graduate Center faculty. They do not need to be faculty members within the Digital Humanities program. Your capstone advisor should have some knowledge about the subject of your project. Given that the capstone is interdisciplinary and original, it is unlikely that any single professor will have an expertise in everything about your project. Ideally, choose a professor with whom you have been able to work well in the past. Other students have found that this compatibility is more important than subject-matter expertise. Remember that your capstone advisor is not the only professor to whom you can turn for help or advice on your capstone project.

How do I find out what is going on around the university?

The Graduate Center sponsors numerous events and lectures. They are advertised prominently on the website and in the elevators. There are many separate centers, programs, and departments that also host events at the GC. It is a good idea to explore the GC website and even the building to find out about all of them.
The Center for the Humanities hosts many smaller seminars and workshops in addition to large public events. You can go to their suite of offices on the Sixth Floor to find out about their offerings. It is a good idea to get on the email lists of programs and centers that interest you. You may also visit the Graduate Center calendar for campus events.

How large are the classes?

The typical class size is about 12-15 students.

How long does it usually take to earn the degree?

Courses are offered during the Fall and Spring semesters. Students who take two classes per semester can expect to complete the 30-credit degree in two and a half years.

I am an international student; can I still apply?

I have a question that is not represented here. Who can I contact?

Please write to

If I am not coming directly out of undergraduate studies, can I still apply?

Yes. The program welcomes students who have recently completed their Bachelor’s degree as well as students who are coming from a professional background.

If I am not coming directly out of undergraduate studies, whom should I request recommendation letters from?

Your two recommendations letters may be written by anyone in a professional supervising position who can speak to your work, though recommendations from faculty who have seen you perform in the classroom are preferred. See the application instructions for further information.

In what ways can I seek out help in becoming a PhD candidate?

Seek out help from as many people as you can at the Graduate Center, your undergraduate institution, and the university and department where you are thinking of applying. Professors, fellow students, program administrators, admissions officers, and career-service placement specialists all have something to offer to make you a strong Ph.D. applicant. All of these people can help a Ph.D. applicant with essential information about institutions, faculty, grants, and the admissions process. A successful Ph.D. applicant should have a research agenda and know the institution and professors where this agenda would best fit. The personal statement and writing sample benefits from multiple readers. It is important that someone familiar with the conventions of the subject read both.

Is there a common area for people from different disciplines to socialize?

There are various lounges and dining facilities at the GC, including the Robert E. Gilleece Student Center. Click here for more information.

Is there a place where I can go for my health and well-being?

Yes. Visit the Wellness Center in the GC.

Is there someone to advise me on career opportunities associated with my studies?

Individual departments and programs sometimes run career workshops. Check their websites for more information. Speak to faculty, advisors, and other students.

May I transfer credit from other graduate programs?

The Digital Humanities Program will accept a maximum of 12 credits earned in another graduate program toward the 30 credits required for the M.A. Please send the following form to and include the semester, course title, grade, brief description, and a CUNY GC course that you deem equivalent. Your request will be reviewed by the Executive Officer of the program. The following restrictions apply to these transfer credits:

The course(s) must have been completed with a grade of B or higher;
The course(s) must be comparable to courses offered by the Graduate Center (courses in creative or professional writing are not acceptable for transfer credit);
The course(s) must not have been credited towards a prior graduate degree. If you have a prior graduate degree, you can transfer only credits that you earned in excess of the credits required for that degree.

What courses will I be able to enroll in?

Please see our Courses section for more detail.

What financial aid is available?

What is the tuition fee?

What kind of jobs do graduates find after completing the degree?

Graduates can find positions in start-up companies, the non-profit sector, the cultural-heritage sector, and social media marketing companies.

What other benefits do I get as a CUNY student?

CUNY students benefit from the Cultural Passport that gives students access to many cultural institutions in NYC for free or at a discount. Also visit CUNY Central’s website for more information.

Student Affairs also maintains the Student Activities & Discounts webpage on The Graduate Center website. The webpage offers free and discounted ticket information for exhibits, museums, and shows across the 5 boroughs; student discounts on products and services; and up-to-date information on events taking place on all CUNY campuses including The Graduate Center.

What should I do if I have questions regarding the application process?

Questions regarding the Admissions process should be directed to the Admissions Office ( Questions regarding the MA Program may be directed to the Program Director.

Where are jobs outside of academia listed?

Here are some of the many websites:

New York Foundation for the Arts classifieds; lists jobs in the non-profit sector; searches only job content within your search terms.

For help in your job search, visit the webpage of the Office of Career Planning or make an appointment to see Dr. Jennifer Furlong, the director of the Office of Career Planning and Professional Development at the Graduate Center. Dr. Furlong also organizes panels and events for students searching for jobs.


Where can I find funding for my degree?

GC librarians have put together a great resource on funding that lists all of the major databases.

Some of these may be subscription databases accessible only to registered students. But, if you scroll down, you’ll see the Michigan, UCLA, and Duke databases that are open access.

In book form, there is also April Vahle Hamel’s Graduate School Funding Handbook (Penn Press, 2010), which walks you through the process (Jenny Furlong wrote the chapter on postdocs), and Pearson’s Getting Money for Graduate School (2003, so maybe a bit outdated).

You can also check the Graduate Center's webpage on outside funding sources.