For more insights into our program, see the video below.
The Graduate Center, CUNY | Ph.D Program in English from GC Videography Fellows on Vimeo.
Every year, we receive about 300 applications. Admission is extremely competitive; we admit an incoming cohort of 20 students each year. Every admitted applicant receives full funding for five years
, and other fellowship funding is available.
The Admissions Committee is made up of fifteen professors and five doctoral students. The Committee meets regularly from January until mid-April to review completed applications. Each application file is read in its entirety. We admit applicants in every field of literary and cultural study, representing the full range of methodologies and interests within our discipline. Successful applications always include the following:
- A statement of purpose that eloquently outlines a particular area of research, arguing for your project’s urgency within literary and cultural studies.
- A skillful, sophisticated Writing Sample that demonstrates critical and analytical acumen.
- An academic background that has given you the skills and background to succeed in a Ph.D. Program and carry out your proposed work, as evidenced in transcripts, letters of reference, and the personal statement.
- A strong sense of why you are specifically interested in joining us at the CUNY Graduate Center.
Please note that we no longer require either the GRE General or the GRE Subject Test.
- Statement of purpose (1,000-word maximum).
- Writing sample (5,000-word maximum).
- 3 Letters of reference.
- Academic transcripts for all undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Please do not hesitate to be in touch with Professor Siraj Ahmed
, Chair of the Admissions Committee, with any questions not covered by our website.
Best of luck with your application!