Institutional Research Specialist - School of Professional Studies
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 10845
- Department: School of Professional Studies
- Location: SPS: School of Professional Studies
- Closing Date: JUL 11, 2014
Click Here to Apply
Campus Specific Information
Since its inception in 2003, the School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched fifteen degrees: nine bachelor's degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master's degrees, with more programs currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally-recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
Reporting to the Assistant Dean/Registrar and Student Services, the Institutional Research Specialist will:
- Utilize university-wide institutional reports and metrics, including methodological details used, to generate campus metrics.
- Identify appropriate institutional data sources, build data sets, manipulate and analyze
data, interpret results, and report findings.
- Coordinate standard report templates for the School's various reporting requirements.
- Prepare data for University reports.
- Assist with management of data sets and collections.
- Assist with tracking trends in applications, acceptances, and enrollments.
- Prepare enrollment projections.
- Collect data and prepare reports on the School's credit and non-credit program enrollment,
retention, and completion.
- Analyze and chart trends.
- Develop a record-keeping system for reports.
- Create ad-hoc reports as requested by the Associate Deans' offices.
- Create annual Institutional Profile.
Analyses and manages data in a College Institutional Research office.
- Collects, analyzes, maintains, and reports statistical institutional data and information online and in print
- Coordinates administration, data collection, and production of periodic reports and materials required for program reviews
- Responds to periodic external surveys to ensure timely and accurate reporting
- Conducts statistical research studies focusing on student recruitment, enrollment, retention, admissions, and financial aid
- Maintains selected databases and document libraries, soliciting and implementing regular updates and ensuring data quality and completeness
- Responds to time-critical ad-hoc requests for data and information, both internally and externally
- May consult with faculty and students in the design of databases for research projects
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and four years' relevant experience required.
- Bachelor's degree in statistics, economics, mathematics, or related field; formal
training in social science research methods.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to solve problems
- Ability to understand and work with complex data structures
- Proficiency with basic computer software and high comfort level working in Windows XP
- Experience with statistical packages such as SPSS, SAS, or STATA for managing and
- Familiarity with Crystal Reports
- Strong skills in either Excel or Access as potential reporting tools
- Ability to learn to work with the University's institutional database
- An eye for detail, and a commitment to producing accurate and useful quantitative data
- Ability to quickly respond to requests
- Strong organizational skills, including ability to maintain record-keeping system
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, demanding and
complex work environment, carry out complex assignments, and adapt to changing
situations and priorities
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
***If you are unable to upload your application please email email@example.com. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.