Admissions FAQ


Can I apply to a GC doctoral program and a GC master’s program?

If you have received a decision for a doctoral program and wish to be considered for the Master's in Liberal Studies program, you may do so as long as they are still considering applications.

Can I apply to more than one doctoral program?

You may only apply to one program at a time in a current admissions cycle.  If you have received a decision for a doctoral program and wish to be considered for another program that still is accepting applications, you may do so.

Can the Certificate of Finances form required of international students be submitted at a later time, after the admissions decision is made?

The Certificate of Finances form required of international applicants may be submitted after the decision is made.

How can I obtain the Signature Page?

If you were unable to print the signature page after submitting the online application, a copy of the signature page can be found here.

How can I pay the admissions application fee?

After you have completed the online application form, you will be asked to submit the form for review.  A payment page will then appear asking you to select your payment method.  You may pay online with a credit card or by sending in a check by mail.

How can I reset my account password?

Please send an email from the email address you originally listed in the online application to requesting to have your password reset.

I took the GRE more than five years ago, will you accept it? .

GRE General and Subject exam scores are valid for five years.  You will need to take the test again if your scores are older than five years. 

If my intended program requests a writing sample, how do I submit it?

Please submit writing samples by upoloading them into the online application system. Please be sure to include your full name and date of birth on the writing sample.

May I submit additional materials beyond the required documents?

You may submit relevant additional materials.  However, please keep in mind that the committee may not be able to read additional materials, especially if they are lengthy.  We also cannot accept any bound materials.   

Can any of my supporting documents arrive after the deadline?

All supporting documents need to have arrived in the Office of Admissions by the program's deadline. 

Can I request to waive the application fee?

The application fee cannot be waived.

Do I need to take the GRE if I already have a Masters Degree?

If you are applying for a doctoral degree (with the exception of the Social Welfare PhD), you will need to take the GRE General exam regardless of whether or not you have already obtained a Masters Degree.  Certain programs require or recommend the GRE Subject test in addition to the General test.  Please refer to the deadline chart for details. 

How can I apply for scholarships and fellowship opportunities?

All doctoral applicants are automatically considered for all school based funding (including scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships) when you submit your completed application.

How can I remind my recommenders to submit their recommendation letters online?

After you have submitted the online application form to the Graduate Center, your application will be processed and an email confirmation will be sent to let you.  You will then be able to log back into the online application system and check to see if your recommenders have submitted their letters via the online system.  There is no way to remind recommenders through the online system.  However, you can email your recommenders directly and remind them to submit the letter.  If they no longer have the email with the link to complete a recommendation, you may have them email their letter to from an official school .edu email account.

How will I know when you have received my supporting documents?

After you submit your online application form your application will be processed and an email confirmation will be sent to you.  You will then be able to log back into the application system and track the processing of your application, including the receipt of your supporting documents.

What are tuition and fee costs?

The current tuition and fee costs can be found here.

What is the address that I should use to send transcripts, etc.?

The Office of Admissions
The Graduate Center, CUNY
365 Fifth Avenue, Room 7201
New York, NY 10016

What is the Graduate Center’s institutional code for the GRE/TOEFL/GMAT?

The institutional code for the GRE and the TOEFL is 2113.
The institutional code for the GMAT is XWT-S7-47.

What is the minimum GRE or TOEFL score?

There are no minimum scores that guarantee admission.  Each program takes into consideration all the elements of an application. 

What is the reapplication process if I have applied for admissions in the past?

First you need to submit a new application form and application fee for the current admissions cycle.  If you have submitted an online application in the past two years, all your supporting materials will remain on file and do not need to be resent.  If you started an application but did not submit it or you submitted an application more than two years ago, you will need to resend your supporting materials.

What is the transfer of credit process?

On average, programs do not accept more than 15 transfer credits.  However, each case is reviewed individually and transfer credits will only be evaluated if you are admitted to a program and after you have begun the registration process.

When is my application due?

The admissions deadlines for each program are listed on our deadline page. Please note that different programs have different deadlines.

When will I be notified of an admissions decision?

Most decisions are made within 4 to 8 weeks after the program deadline. 

Who should be my recommenders if I've been out of school for many years?

It is in your best interest to try to reconnect with faculty who can speak to your academic ability.  However, if you are absolutely unable to obtain academic letters of recommendation, you may request other letters, but they should address your ability to complete an academically rigorous program rather than provide a professional or personal recommendation.