IT Update: Fall 2012
Please take note of the following updates from IT:
- A “new-user orientation” video is now available via the IT website to familiarize members of the GC community with IT services and resources.
- The GC-specific entries in the IT knowledge base (available at the IT website) have been completely overhauled; overall, the collection is now fully updated, better organized and more responsive to documented user needs.
- IT training sessions for fall are now appearing on the IT website; be sure to take advantage of these opportunities for professional development.
- Version upgrades have been applied to a variety of our software titles, including ArcGIS, SPSS and SAS; MATLAB has been upgraded to academic research licensing and more toolboxes added; public Macs have been upgraded to OS X Lion.
- As previously noted, our Citrix remote computing environment is undergoing a major overhaul to improve performance and user experience. As part of that work, software titles which have become outdated, are available via other avenues or are significantly under-utilized will be weeded out.
- The end-to-end replacement of the Graduate Center’s entire telephony system will begin during fall semester. This will include replacement of every desktop and wall-mounted telephone; connectivity integration between desktop phones and desktop computers; reconfiguration of faxing services (both inbound and outbound); reconfiguration of voicemail and integration with email; design and implementation of workgroup call management features and functions; and many related activities, including a comprehensive program of on-site visits to every telephone location in the building beginning this week. Every effort will be made to minimize any disruptions, but the community should note that the scope of this undertaking is very substantial. Training on the new services and resources will accompany the rollout.
- As previously noted, our series of individualized department-specific “IT assessments” continues. We urge the leaders of the various GC organizational units to participate in these dialogs intended to identify any IT-related needs specific to their units.
- As always, be sure to visit the IT website at http://www.gc.cuny.edu/IT.
Submitted on: SEP 27, 2012