Communications Marketing Manager – Joseph S. Murphy Institute
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 10923
- Department: School of Professional Studies/Joseph S. Murphy Institute
- Location: SPS/JSM: School of Professional Studies/Joseph S. Murphy Institute
- Closing Date: SEP 14, 2014
Campus Specific Information
The School of Professional Studies of the City University of New York (CUNY SPS) has launched fifteen degrees: nine bachelor's degrees open to students with 24 or more college credits who wish to complete their undergraduate studies, and six master's degrees, with more programs currently in development. CUNY SPS leads the University in developing and operating online degree programs, and trains faculty throughout CUNY in online instruction. CUNY SPS is also the home of the Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies, which offers higher education programs for working adults and union members, and serves as a nationally-recognized center for scholarship and resources for labor, academic, and community leaders seeking a deeper understanding of labor and urban issues.
The Joseph S. Murphy Institute for Worker Education and Labor Studies is a collaboration between the University and New York City labor unions, for the purpose of serving the educational, policy, and research needs of unions and their members. The mission of the Institute is to: 1) offer undergraduate and graduate programs to labor and urban studies; 2) expand working adult student access to colleges throughout the CUNY system; 3) partner with labor unions and employers to address training and education needs of union members; and 4) serve the labor and broader community by conducting research, offering leadership development programs, hosting forums and national conferences, and publishing articles, books, and a national labor journal to promote debate on issues critical to labor's future and its policy role.
Reporting to the Director of the Institute or his/her designee, the Communications Marketing Manager will:
- Serve as a liaison to the CUNY SPS Director of Marketing.
- Lead the development of messaging and execution of marketing campaigns for the Institute.
- Coordinate all aspects of media planning.
- Coordinate the management of a portfolio of marketing projects for the Institute.
- Prepares internal and external communications/presentations.
- Develop and implements a web based strategy for promoting JSMI activities and services.
- Perform market research.
- Evaluate and analyze marketing efforts.
- Apply understanding of Institute partners and constituencies to increase student enrollments and the visibility of the Institute in the labor and broader community.
- Maintain relationships with union communication directors and the labor and mainstream press.
- Identify and develop new audiences and constituencies.
- May supervise staff.
Manages marketing and advertising initiatives to achieve specific marketing goals.
- Develops advertising programs consistent within overall marketing plans to achieve image, awareness and/or enrollment goals
- Implements programs in print, radio, broadcasting, mail, and electronic communications, coordinating with internal units and external service providers
- Actively manages and moderates electronic content and marketing tools for both College and external web sites and sources, including social networks, video portals, and listservs
-Develops, tracks, and reports on both advertising costs (budgets) and results to assure goals are met; collects and analyzes data on exposure, traffic, and other metrics
- May supervise staff and external service providers
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree and six years' related experience required.
A preferred candidate will have:
- A graduate degree in a related field (e.g., marketing, public relations, communications, etc.)
- A proven record of successful media strategies and campaigns
- Proven success with social media marketing strategies
- At least two years related experience in higher education setting
- Familiarity with labor unions (highly desirable)
- Experience with media buying/planning
- Working knowledge of Quark, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Strong Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proven ability to work on both PC and Mac platforms
- Exemplary written/oral communication and presentation skills
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
***If you are unable to upload your application please email email@example.com. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.