Deputy Director (Administrative Officer) - Futures Initiative & HASTAC @ CUNY
- Job Class: Managerial/Professional
- Job ID Number: 10665
- Department: Office of Futures Initiative
- Location: The Graduate Center
- Closing Date: JUL 30, 2014
Campus Specific Information
The Graduate School and University Center of the City University of New York (CUNY), a doctorate-granting institution of CUNY, is devoted to advancing original research and training graduate students in over 31 fields in the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. A central administrative hub of HASTAC (Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory) is moving from Duke University to The Graduate Center's Office of Futures Initiative.
The Futures Initiative includes ongoing faculty and graduate student development seminars, a competitive Faculty Fellows and Graduate Fellows program, town halls, conferences and un-conferences, collaborative pedagogical and research experiments, and explorations into new modes of assessment and credentialing for all fields, disciplines, and inter-disciplines. HASTAC is a 13,000+ member international online network co-founded by Professor Cathy Davidson whose mission is "Changing the Way We Teach and Learn."
Reporting to the Director of Futures Initiatives & HASTAC@CUNY, the Deputy Director is fully responsible for all administrative, financial, and other arrangements in the Futures Initiative and HASTAC offices. The Deputy Director will provide direct managerial oversight of all staff and doctoral fellows as well as oversee graduate fellows dedicated to the Futures Initiative and HASTAC. The Deputy Director will also initiate and carry out fundraising activities, especially grant writing, for both initiatives, leading collaborations with other centers and initiatives at CUNY and partner institutions.
The Deputy Director will be responsible for the following:
- Work with researchers, technology developers, external contractors, managers, project personnel, foundation officers, prospective donors, and others to coordinate activities and facilitate communications.
- Provide financial oversight of all Futures Initiative budgets, including future grants or sub-contract grant activities.
- Communicate and collaborate with partnering faculty, students, programs, centers, and institutions and represent the goals of the Futures Initiative as a resource for the larger Graduate Center and CUNY community and beyond.
- Direct various personnel actions including, but not limited to, hiring, training new employees, monitoring performance, giving promotions, handling disciplinary actions, and managing schedules.
- Manage and advise on all Futures Initiative programming, activities, and events and make operational and programmatic decisions that have a significant impact to ensure success.
- Direct and oversee implementation of social networking, event-planning, and public relations strategies.
- Act as primary consultant and staff advisor and work with team to ensure a successful delivery plan of their projects.
- Manage an annual fellowship competition offered to faculty at CUNY's 23 other campuses and supervise the terms and conditions of their residency, teaching, and activities at the Graduate Center.
- Prepare and submit more than three new grant proposals per year and maintain the management of successfully funded projects.
- Implement and develop the Futures Initiative's online presence (website, social network, and social media outreach), including branding, design, technology, and collaboration.
- Coordinate workflows, provision of progress reports and assessment activities, programming, and events to stakeholders.
- Provide administrative direction and oversight during the transfer of the functions of HASTAC International's Central Office, located at Duke since 2005, to the Graduate Center over a two-year period.
- In consultation with HASTAC leadership and colleagues at other universities, help plan, implement, and coordinate programming. Make operational and programmatic decisions that significantly impact the successful achievement of HASTAC strategies and objectives.
- Design, create bylaws, and schedule meetings and events with HASTAC@CUNY Faculty and Student Advisory Board and create a presence for the CUNY Advisory Board on hastac.org as well as on Academic Commons.
- Coordinate public relations activities; conceptualize and write multiple monthly newsletters.
- Supervise professional and support staff.
As a senior staff member in a large academic or administrative department, division, or school, manages operations and administration, participates in planning and setting priorities, and oversees related projects to ensure their success.
- Works with management to create short- and long-term business plans, including operational, organization, and financial aspects.
- Works with management and others to develop and implement operating policies and procedures.
- Manages the ongoing financial, operational, and staffing activities of the department.
- Manages operating budget and performs analysis and reporting to support decision-making.
- Oversees legal, safety, fiscal, and other compliance requirements.
- Oversees facilities, technology, and materials utilized in the department, coordinating with appropriate Campus services.
- Works with other Campus or University units to coordinate and plan fund-raising, grants, marketing, communications, and outreach activities.
- Independently carries out a portfolio of responsibilities under the department's purview, such as managing committees, securing approvals, and providing communications.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' relevant experience required.
The preferred candidate will have:
- Extensive experience working with internal and external stakeholders
- High computer, videoconferencing, social media, and digital literacy including experience with complex multi-platform collaboration
- Extensive experience with financial oversight of multiple budgets, including obtaining, submitting, and reporting on grant or subcontract grant activities
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience including handling personnel and recruitment actions
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How To Apply
Please apply using the link below:
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
***If you are unable to upload your application please email email@example.com. Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.