Can I apply to a GC doctoral program and a GC master’s program?

If you have received a decision for a doctoral program and wish to be considered for the Master's in Liberal Studies program, you may do so as long as they are still considering applications.

Can I apply to more than one doctoral program?

You may only apply to one program at a time in a current admissions cycle.  If you have received a decision for a doctoral program and wish to be considered for another program that still is accepting applications, you may do so.

How can I pay the admissions application fee?

After you have completed the online application form, you will be asked to submit the form for review.  A payment page will then appear asking you to select your payment method.  You may pay online with a credit card or by sending in a check by mail.

Can I request to waive the application fee?

The application fee is only waived for United States Armed Services Veterans, MacNair Scholars, and to any student who has graduated from a CUNY college with a bachelor or master’s degree or who will have graduated from one before starting at the Graduate Center.  (The graduates of CUNY fee waiver does not apply to School of Journalism applicants.)

To apply for these fee waivers, please select the "pay by mail/check" option when you submit your application. Then you need to notify the Office of Admissions via email that your application is complete, and that you would like to use your CUNY waiver as payment (do not actually send a check). Please specify in the email if you are a veteran (attach documentation to the email), a McNair Scholar (attach documentation), or a CUNY graduate (which will be confirmed by the Office of Admissions before your waiver is applied.)

If my transcripts are issued in a language other than English, what should I do?

Applicants who attended institutions that issue transcripts only in a non-English language format need to upload a file that contains an English translation from an certified translation service.  The scanned file also needs to contain the original document that the translation represents as well as the cerfitied translation. 

What is an applicant statement?

A successful applicant statement usually does the following:

Articulates a particular topic area in which you propose to do research.
Positions your proposed project within an ongoing scholarly conversation (i.e. that you want to connect your work to existing work in the field, but build on it and add something new).
Argues for your project as urgent within the field and within academic studies.
Connects your scholarly passions to your personal motivations for taking on the work (this can take many forms).
Shows an awareness of your field, but can also be understood by people outside your field.
Shows how your academic background has prepared you to do this work.
Speaks to why you want to study in the GC's doctoral program specifically--not just in terms of the resources of the GC but also how you hope to contribute to this intellectual and pedagogical community.
Recounts your educational background that has led to the Ph.D. program or describes a professional position that has inspired further academic study.
Includes an appropriate amount of citational references (literary or rhetorical) that demonstrates your knowledge-base, interest, and investment in further research.
Explains a research agenda and how this program suits that academic goal or indicates how Ph.D. coursework will help focus some already existing (yet still evolving) interests.
Offers a rationale of how a Ph.D. program will enrich and fulfill your intellectual goals. 

What is the reapplication process if I have applied for admissions in the past?

First you need to submit a new application form and application fee for the current admissions cycle.  You will need to upload unofficial scans of your supporting documents to allow the program to review your application in a timely basis. And you are required to submit a new applicant statement. 

If you applied to the Graduate Center within the last two years, and are admitted to the program we may be able to retrieve the official copies that were sent in with your prior application. Those documents previously sent, however, cannot be used for the review process.

What transcripts do I need to list and upload for review?

Transcripts must be submitted from each college or university attended even if you did not complete a degree or did not enroll in courses in your current field.

This includes:
  • All credit bearing coursework even if that did not lead to a degree on a transcript from the issuing institution where the courses were originally taken.
  • All credit bearing coursework even if that was for a degree program unrelated to the discipline now being pursued.
  • All credit bearing coursework that may be in progress.  Transcripts that only list courses in progress for the current semester must still be uploaded for review, even if they do not yet contain grades for the current or most recent semester.
  • All coursework that was transferred to another institution must be also submitted on a transcript from the original issuing institution.
    • This includes community college coursework that was transferred to a 4-year degree program. The community college transcript must also be uploaded to the online application.
This does not include:
  • Credits from study abroad coursework or credits taken as part of AP or other high school college level coursework.
  • Coursework that was non-credit bearing or taken at non-academic institutions such as religious, career, or non-academic technical colleges. 


How do I upload an unofficial transcript if my institution does not provide unofficial copies?

If your institution does not provide an unofficial or online student copy of the transcript, then you need to request an official one to be sent to you.  That copy should be opened, scanned and uploaded into the online application form. You may want to request 2 copies from the issuing institution and keep one unopened, so that if you are admitted you will have an official copy available to forward to the Office of Admission prior to registration. Only admitted applicants are required to send an official transcript. 

How do I upload pdf files that are more than 4MB?

To ensure that your file is smaller than the maximum size, you may have to scan your file at the lowest DPI that produces a legible image. In most cases, you will be able to use a DPI under 200.

Do not scan in color. Use grey scale if possible; otherwise, use black and white.

If the file already exists as a download from your institution, please take a look at this adobe page with instructions that can assist you in reducing the size of an existing pdf file .  http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/reducing-file-size
For all Journalism writing samples, if the size absolutely cannot be reduced to less than 4MB, then upload one document with a url/link to a hosted file. 

Who should be my recommenders if I've been out of school for many years?

If it has been more than five years since you were last enrolled in college or graduate school, you may choose to request a letter in addition to your two required academic evaluations.  This letter should be from professional acquintance who can vouch for your ability to pursue graduate study.  professional references may be substituted for academic references only if you are applying to the Doctoral Program in Social Welfare. 

Can I send recommendations from Interfolio

We do not accept recommendations that are not uploaded into our online application system.  Please select recommenders who can upload recommendations into our online system in order to ensure a timely review of your application. 

How can I remind recommenders to submit their recommendation?

After you have submitted your online application, you can remind your recommenders to submit their online recommendation by logging back into the online application system.  At the dashboard (the first screen you will see upon logging back in) click on the blue button on the upper right hand side that says "View Application." 

Then on the left hand navigation bar, you will see a link to "Recommendations" under the "Important Links" header.  That will bring you to a button that says "Recommendation Provider List" where you can resend the request to previously listed recommenders. 

The system does not allow you to add additional recommenders or to correct/modify and email address of a recommender.  Those requests should be made by email to admissions@gc.cuny.edu with the understanding that you may have a significant delayin the processing of your application due to an issue with the recommender emails that you have listed prior to submitting your application. 

Do I need to take the GRE if I already have a Masters Degree?

If you are applying for a doctoral degree (with the exception of the Social Welfare PhD), you will need to take the GRE General exam regardless of whether or not you have already obtained a Masters Degree.  Certain programs require or recommend the GRE Subject test in addition to the General test.  Please refer to the deadline chart for details. 

I took the GRE more than five years ago, will you accept it? .

GRE General and Subject exam scores are valid for five years.  You will need to take the test again if your scores are older than five years. 

Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam?

An applicant must submit scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless they have a post-secondary degree from an institution in which the language of instruction is English-only and located in a country that recognizes English as an Official Language. Please note applicant's who have only studied in Puerto Rico or India must complete the TOEFL or IELTS.  

The TOEFL test is administered internationally by Educational Testing Service and you need to request that ETS report examination results directly to College Code 2113.

The IELTS test is administered by Cambridge English Language Assessment.  

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

What is the minimum GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score?

There are no minimum scores that guarantee admission.  Each program takes into consideration all the elements of an application. 

If my intended program requests a writing sample, how do I submit it?

Please submit writing samples by uploading them into the online application system. Please be sure to include your full name and date of birth on the writing sample.

Can any of my supporting documents arrive after the deadline?

All supporting documents need to have been uploaded to the online application system by the program's deadline. 

How can I apply for scholarships and fellowship opportunities?

All doctoral applicants are automatically considered for all school based funding (including scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships) when you submit your completed application.

What are tuition and fee costs?

The current tuition and fee costs can be found here.

What is the Graduate Center’s institutional code for the GRE/TOEFL/GMAT?

The institutional code for the GRE and the TOEFL is 2113.
The institutional code for the GMAT is XWT-S7-47.

What is the transfer of credit process?

On average, programs do not accept more than 15 transfer credits.  However, each case is reviewed individually and transfer credits will only be evaluated if you are admitted to a program and after you have begun the registration process.

When is my application due?

The admissions deadlines for each program are listed on our deadline page. Please note that different programs have different deadlines.

On the online application, the LookUp screen I can't locate an institution

For institutions within the United States, the most effective method of locating institutions using this screen is to type in only the CITY field. If you cannot locate the institution by CITY, then type in only the NAME field. If that does not result in locating the institution, please type in "Undelcared" in the NAME field and select "Undeclared Domestic" as the institution.

For institutions outside of the United States, please search first by selecting only CITY. If that does not result in locating the institution, search only by NATION field. If that does not result in locating the institution, please select "Nation: Foreign Inst" for that country. (For example, if you are searching for a Canadian institution that does not appear on the list for Canada, select "Canada: Foreign Inst")


Can GC alumni use the Mina Rees Library?

GC alumni are permitted access to the Mina Rees Library free of charge with their GC alumni card. They are also granted borrowing privileges from the GC library only (no access to other CUNY libraries, CLICS, or Interlibrary Loan) and on-site access to databases. Due to licensing restrictions and CUNY-wide rules governing student accounts, off-campus access to library databases is discontinued after graduation.

Also, alumni are encouraged to make voluntary tax-deductible contributions to the Friends of the Library program, which helps support the activities of the library and acquisition of new resources. To find out more about the Friends of the Library program, please visit http://library.gc.cuny.edu/about-the-library/donations-and-gifts.htm.

Does the Graduate Center offer Dossier Services?

Yes, the Graduate Center has partnered with the credentials management service, Interfolio Inc., to offer current and former students a more efficient and effective way of managing dossier files. Interfolio is the easiest and most affordable way to store and deliver application materials. For more information, please visit the website at http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Prospective-Current-Students/Student-Life/Resources. Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at 212-817-7400 or by email studentaffairs@gc.cuny.edu for more information about this service.

How do I audit courses at the Graduate Center?

Anyone can audit courses at the Graduate Center. Please contact the Registrar's Office at 212-817-7500 or by email at registrar@gc.cuny.edu for more information.

How do I obtain a GC alumni ID card?

To obtain a Graduate Center alumni ID card, please contact the Security Office at 212-817-7777 or visit their office (room 9124) on the 9th floor of the Graduate Center.

How do I obtain an official transcript?

Students submit the Transcript Request form to the Office of the Registrar for processing. The transcript fee is $7.00 USD per transcript with the exception of transcripts that are sent directly to CUNY Colleges which is free of charge.

  • The transcript fee is payable by cash in person at the Bursar’s Office, personal check, money order, or online payment. Please make checks or money orders payable to GSUC/CUNY.
  • Students using the non-instructional fee online payment method must attach their Bursar payment receipt along with the transcript request form.

Transcript requests are generally processed within 2-4 business days. After submitting the transcript request, students may track their transcript request status using their Self-Service Banner account. A transcript will not be sent if the student has any holds on record (i.e. Bursar, Library, Financial Aid, etc.). The hold must be cleared before any transcript can be sent.

Please contact the Office of the Registrar at 212-817-7500 or by email at registrar@gc.cuny.edu if you have any other transcript related questions.

How do I stay in contact with other GC alumni?

You can sign up for the Graduate Center's Alumni Online Directory: Click Here. There you can search for other alumni. The Alumni Online Directory is a member driven system. Members control the amount of information they wish to share. Any information that is displayed in the alumni directory is privileged and only shared with other GC alumni.

How do I update my address or share news about myself?

The easiest way to update your contact information is join the Graduate Center Online Community. Once you become a member, you can update your profile. You may also contact us at 212-817-7130 or by email at gcalumni@gc.cuny.edu.

To share news about you with Graduate Center community such as new book publications, academic or professional achievements, and other interesting stories, please email us pubaff@gc.cuny.edu.

Where I do purchase academic or commencement gowns?

Academic or commencement gowns can be purchased from the Office of Special Events at the Graduate Center. Please contact them at 212-817-7150 or by email at specialevents@gc.cuny.edu to inquire about prices, measurements and other specifications.


Where can I get my hearing tested?

What does an audiologic evaluation entail?

Partial List of Services Available:

  • Basic hearing test

  • Custom hearing protectors

  • Hearing aid checks, hearing aid counseling

  • Testing hearing of children

  • Counseling regarding communication strategies and hearing assistive technologies

How can I make an appointment?

For Hunter College Communication Disorders Center:
N133 (North Building)
425 East 25th Street
Call (212) 481-4464

Or visit Hunter College
For Brooklyn College Speech and Hearing Center:
2900 Bedford Avenue
4400 Boylan Hall
Brooklyn, NY
Call (718) 951-5186

Or Visit Brooklyn College
For Graduate Center:
365 Fifth Avenue
Room 7306
New York, New York

Call (212) 817-7980 and ask to make appointment

What is the difference between the licensure Post-bachelor's track and the non-licensure Post-master's track?

Post-Bachelor’s Track:
Au.D degree is awarded by the Graduate Center, CUNY. Courses are taught throughout the three campuses including The Graduate Center, Brooklyn College, and Hunter College Brookdale Campus with a larger percent of courses taught at The Graduate Center. Clinical practica during the first two years (Spring of first year through Spring of second year) take place at the Speech and Hearing Centers at the Brooklyn and Hunter College clinics and Hearing Science Laboratory at The Graduate Center. Externship placements provide students with opportunities at world-renowned medical centers and clinical facilities in a diverse multicultural, multiethnic population in the New York Metropolitan area. 
Each year we admit a relatively small cohort of student, allowing us to ensure an outstanding faculty-to-student ratio. You will work closely with nationally and internationally renowned faculty in audiology which allows for the development of academic and personal relationships.

Post -Masters Track:
The Au.D. degree for ASHA certified or State-Licensed Audiologists is awarded by the Graduate Center, CUNY. Courses are offered in the evening at each of the three campuses including The Graduate Center, Brooklyn College, and Hunter College Brookdale Campus. The program incorporates comprehensive academic training under a nationally and internationally recognized doctoral faculty.

The specific goal of the Masters to Doctoral program for ASHA certified or State-Licensed Audiologists is to offer advanced clinical doctoral education to enhance their clinical knowledge and skills so that:

  1. They can better meet the audiologic needs of the culturally,
    linguistically, and socioeconomically diverse population using evidence-based practice.

  2. They can become active contributors to the clinical science that subserves Audiology and commit to the continuing development of the profession

What is an Au.D. Program?

An Au.D. program is a program that leads to the Au.D. degree, a clinical doctoral degree in the practice of audiology.

Why has CUNY developed an Au.D. Program?

The field of audiology has moved from a master’s degree to a doctoral degree as an entry-level academic requirement.  That is, the preferred degree in audiology, according to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, is  the Au.D. degree, which is a clinical audiology doctoral degree.  In response to this change, the City University of New York (CUNY) has developed an Au.D. Program that is a joint enterprise among the Graduate Center, Brooklyn College, and Hunter College.

The CUNY Au.D. Program is taught by academic and clinical faculty from the CUNY schools.  The clinical facilities are located at Brooklyn College (2900 Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn) and Hunter College (425 East 25th Street in Manhattan) and The Graduate Center (365 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street in Manhattan) campuses.

When did the CUNY Au.D. Program start?

The CUNY Au.D. program began in September, 2005.

What is the accreditation status of the CUNY Au.D. Program?

The consortial doctoral (Au.D) education program in audiology at City University of New York Graduate Center, Brooklyn College, and Hunter College is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.

Can I become an audiologist with a master's degree in Audiology?

In June, 2004, the council on Academic Accreditation of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology (CAA) announced that it will no longer accredit master's degree programs after December 31, 2006.  After that time ,the CAA will accredit only those programs that award doctoral level degrees in Audiology.  The CUNY Au.D. Program complies with these CAA accreditation mandates.

What does an audiologist do?

Audiologists are health professionals who are involved in the diagnosis and management of auditory and balance systems disorders. Audiologists typically:

  • Perform diagnostic evaluations of the outer, middle and inner ears, auditory pathways to the brain, and vestibular systems
  • Manage the rehabilitative processes of children and adults with hearing and balance disorders

In addition, audiologists may:

  • Assess situations in which hearing and balance may be jeopardized and design intervention to hearing loss

  • Prepare future professionals to practice in colleges, universities, schools, medical clinics and in private practice

  • Manage agencies, clinics or private practices

  • Engage in research to enhance knowledge about normal hearing, and the evaluation and treatment of hearing disorders.

  • Design hearing instruments and testing equipment

  • Dispense amplification devices (e.g. hearing aids, alerting devices) which promote improved communication and safety

  • Work as part of a cochlear implant team to assist individuals with severe to profound hearing loss

Where does an audiologist work?

Audiologists provide services and work in many different types of facilities:

Acute care hospitals


Colleges and Universities

Music Industry

Community hearing and speech centers

Nursing Homes

Community outpatient clinics

Physicians' offices

Educational settings such as public and private schools

Private practice offices

Health departments

Rehabilitation centers

Hearing-aid companies

Research Laboratories

Industry with hearing conservation programs

Specialized schools

Long-term care and residential facilities

State and federal government agencies
Veteran's Administration

What is the employment outlook for an Audiologist?

Employment of audiologists is expected to grow 34 percent from 2012 to 2022. Because hearing loss is strongly associated with aging, rapid growth in the population age 55 and older will cause the number of persons with hearing impairment to increase markedly. (Excerpted from: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/audiologists.htm#tab-6).

How long is the Au.D. degree program?

The curriculum is 97 credits, and can be completed over a four year period.  This includes a clinical residency during the 4th year.  After graduation, each degree candidate will be able to apply for New York State licensure and national certification. The Au.D. Program is a full-time Program - students cannot take courses in the Program as part-time students.

What is the Capstone Project?

Examples of completed Capstone Projects include the following:

Reliability and Validity of the Hearing Aid Skills Questionnaire

Acoustic Radiation and Bone-Conduction Testing

The Acoustic Change Complex: An Investigation of Stimulus Presentation Rate in Infants

Prevalence of Auditory Neuropathy/Dys-synchrony in Children with Hearing Loss

Hearing Impairment, Cognitive Status, and Quality of Life in the Elderly: A Systematic Literature Review

The Relationship Between the Magnitude of Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions and Acoustic Reflex Thresholds for Broadband Noise for Older Adults

The purpose of the Capstone Project is to provide students with exposure to the process and value of conducting research. The project may take several forms including research-based investigations in clinical or basic science areas; research on evidence-based practice; survey research of best practices; research on the scholarship of the teaching/learning process; efficacy studies; prospective or retrospective studies; critical literature reviews of topics relevant to clinical practice formatted possibly as a viewpoint article; clinical protocols based on a thorough review of published research relevant to the protocol; grant proposal with pilot data and prepared using the format of the granting agency to which they wish to send the proposal; and psychometric studies of measuring instruments to be used in screening or in outcomes research.
Where are the facilities for the CUNY Au.D. Program?

Because of the unique aspects and diverse faculty of this city-wide program, classroom learning takes place in Brooklyn and Manhattan, depending on the specific course offered each semester.  Clinical instruction and services take place at the Brooklyn College Speech and Hearing Center and the Hunter College Center for Communication Disorders and the Graduate Center Hearing Science Laboratory.  All sites have sound-treated test suites, and behavioral audiologic test equipment, acoustic immittance measurement equipment, and digital amplification technology (including a real-ear probe tube microphone measurement system).  The Brooklyn College Speech and Hearing Center has a hearing-aid dispensary, and Hunter College Center for Communication Disorders and the Graduate Center Hearing Science Laboratory have hearing aid laboratories. The Brooklyn College and Hunter College Centers have auditory evoked potentials and otoacoustic emissions systems. Brooklyn College and Hunter College Centers and The Graduate Center Laboratory have assistive listening devices. Auditory processing disorders testing is done at the Hunter College Center.

What is The Graduate Center Tuition?

Please click here for tuition information.

Please Note: All fees and tuition charges are subject to change by action of the Board of Trustees of The City University of New York without prior notice

How do I apply?

The online admissions application is available here.

When is the deadline to apply?

Information regarding the application deadline for admissions for matriculation into the AuD Program for the Fall semester is available here.

When and where is the next information session being held?

Whom should I contact if I have questions about the Au.D. Program?

  • John P. Preece, Ph.D., CCC-A Executive Officer, Au.D. Program, Graduate Center, CUNY: jpreece@gc.cuny.edu


What is the CUNY post master’s degree Au.D. Program?

The CUNY Au.D. Program incorporates a 31-credit-hour sequence consisting of a core sequence of three courses, an elective sequence of eight courses and a capstone research project oriented toward the student’s clinical or theoretical interests. Students work in close consultation with members of the doctoral faculty to complete this project. It is our hope that the capstone research experience enhances the clinician’s capacity both as a critical thinker and as a consumer of audiologic research.

Why has CUNY developed an Au.D. Program for ASHA certified or State Licensed Audiologists?

The Au.D. Program replaces the master’s degree programs of Brooklyn College and Hunter College. The last master’s degree students graduated from these colleges prior to December, 2006, as mandated by ASHA. The transition from master’s degree-level for the practice of clinical Audiology to a clinical doctorate is consistent with the new standards for professional education adopted by the CAA, to take effect January 1, 2012.

When did the CUNY Au.D. Program for Audiology Clinicians with a Master’s Degree begin?

The program was approved by the New York State Education Dept. in September, 2006. The CUNY Au.D. Program accepted its first class in Spring, 2007 (the application deadline for Fall admission is February 1).

What are the goals of the CUNY post master’s degree Au.D Program?

To enhance the clinical knowledge and skills of practitioners so that:

  • They can better meet the hearing health-care needs of the culturally, linguistically, and socioeconomically diverse population of individuals with hearing impairment and vestibular disorders

  • They can become active contributors to the clinical science that subserves Audiology and commit to the continuing development of the profession

  • They can be more competitive with graduates from traditional Au.D. Programs in the current and future job market.

How long is the Au.D. post master’s degree program?

The 31-credit program is designed to be completed on a part-time basis over a four year period. It can be completed over a shorter time period if the student chooses a full-time schedule.

What are the graduation requirements?

All CUNY Au.D. students with Masters Degrees who are Professionally Certified or Licensed are required to take:

  • AuD 71600: Physiological Acoustics (3 credits)
  • AuD 76500: Audiologic Research Proposal (3 credits)
  • AuD 78000: Audiologic Research (1 credits)

(Although students must enroll in AuD 78000 for each semester that the capstone  research project remains incomplete, the course can be counted only once towards the 31-credit requirement).
Note: AuD 71800: Introduction to Research Methods is a prerequisite for AuD 76500 if this or a comparable course was not taken at the masters level.
For the remaining 24 credits, the student can elect (in cosultation with the faculty adviser), any combination of the following courses:

  • AuD 72000: Multicultural Issues for Audiologists

  • AuD 72500: Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Hearing Conservation

  • AuD 74200: Auditory Evoked Responses

  • AuD 74800: Amplification II

  • AuD 75000: Counseling

  • AuD 76000: Medical Audiology

  • AuD 76300: Vestibular & Tinnitus Evaluation and Management

  • AuD 77000: Cochlear Implants & Other Sensory Aids

  • AuD 77200: Auditory Processing Disorders

  • AuD 77400: Hearing & Aging

  • AuD 77600: Seminar in Professional Practices – Business Practice

Students must also complete a Capstone research project.
What are the types of clinical research projects?
In the past, student's Capstone projects have included the following:

Reliability and Validity of the Hearing Aid Skills Questionnaire

Acoustic Radiation and Bone-Conduction Testing

The Acoustic Change Complex: An Investigation of Stimulus Presentation Rate in Infants

Prevalence of Auditory Neuropathy/Dys-synchrony in Children with Hearing Loss

Hearing Impairment, Cognitive Status, and Quality of Life in the Elderly: A Systematic Literature Review

The Relationship Between the Magnitude of Distortion Product Otoacoustic Emissions and Acoustic Reflex Thresholds for Broadband Noise for Older Adults


Whom should I contact if I have questions about the post master’s degree Au.D. Program?


  • John P. Preece, Ph.D., CCC-A  Executive Officer, Au.D. Program, Graduate Center, CUNY: jpreece@gc.cuny.edu

Certificate Programs - Women's Studies

Counseling Services

How does psychotherapy work?

There are different techniques of psychotherapy, but they all share some common elements. Therapy provides the opportunity to talk in confidence with a skilled and empathic listener who can help to identify and understand the problem and then seek out ways to approach it. Through this process, people can come to recognize a greater range of possibilities in their lives, and feel more effective and fulfilled in love and work.

Who provides the Student Counseling Services?

The Wellness Center Student Counseling Services is staffed by licensed psychologists, postdoctoral fellows and advanced doctoral students in clinical psychology.

Who uses Student Counseling Services?

The Wellness Center offers Student Counseling Services to all matriculated graduate students registered at the Graduate Center. We see several hundred students each year for consultations, individual counseling and/or groups and workshops. Students who seek our services represent the rich diversity of cultural, ethnic and religious backgrounds that exist at the Graduate Center. We welcome all students, including international students and veterans, and we are LGBTQ-friendly. We are also available to individual departments, to participate in workshops on topics such as dissertation completion.

Why counseling for graduate students?

Over many years of offering counseling services to graduate students, we have found that counseling can help significantly in addressing a wide range of difficulties, including anxiety, depression, relationship problems and work-related problems. We are experienced in recognizing the unique challenges that graduate students can face at this phase in their lives.

What counseling services are available through the Wellness Center?

Student Counseling Services offers short-term individual counseling, psychotherapy, couples counseling, consultations and referrals. We also offer three ongoing groups, Challenges of Graduate Student Life, the Dissertation Completion Group and the LGBTQ Graduate Student Support Group, which meet weekly throughout the academic year. In addition to counseling services, we offer dissertation support through a series of individual consultations to help identify problems in moving forward on the dissertation and find solutions to obstacles. We also provide a workshop series on a variety of topics relevant to graduate student life.

Are the Student Counseling Services confidential?

All services offered through the Wellness Center Student Counseling Services are strictly confidential. We believe that confidentiality is essential to establishing an atmosphere of safety and trust. Information about you or your participation in our services is not shared with academic departments or other administrative offices. In rare situations in which there is the potential for harm to self or others, appropriate steps are taken to maintain safety for all concerned. A full confidentiality statement is available in the Wellness Center, Room 6422.

Does Student Counseling Services charge for its services?

All services are free of charge to matriculated students registered at the Graduate Center, CUNY.

Does Student Counseling Services provide medications?

Student Counsleing Services does not provide medications for psychiatric or psychological difficulties at this time. However, we ensure that students who may need medication are referred to the appropriate psychiatric services outside the Graduate Center.

Criminal Justice

Q: Are there funding opportunities available for students?

A: Yes, every fulltime student in our Program receives a stipend and tuition remission. Beginning 2012-2013, incoming students will receive a stipend up to $25,000 per year and health insurance. Students are required as part of the fellowship to TA and/or teach one class each semester in years 2 - 5. Extra financial assistance is available through fellowships, grants, assistantships, traineeships, loans, and Federal Work-Study Program assignments. Please visit the Graduate Center’s financial aid website for information about fellowships and stipends.

Q: Can I work full-time while attending the program?

A: The policy, oversight and administration (POA) specialization is geared for individuals who expect to remain employed.  However, all students must be registered for 7 credits per semester.  Most courses are offered in the late afternoon or evening.

Q: Can I start coursework in January instead of September?

A: No, you may only begin attending courses in the Fall semester after you are accepted.

Q: Can I take classes as a non-matriculating student?

A: No, we do not accept any non-matriculated students.

Q: Can I use some of my graduate degree credits towards my required PhD program credits?

A: Students who have taken course work beyond a bachelor's degree at another accredited institution may request to have these credits transferred, up to a total of 15 credits for criminal justice students and up to a total of 29 credits for policy, oversight and administration specialization (POA). The principle for accepting such credits toward the requirements of the Program is that they replicate course work that would ordinarily be taken in this Program. It is the determination of EO whether courses are eligible for transfer. Only courses in which students have received a grade of B or higher are eligible for transfer.

Q: Do I have to have a Master's degree to apply to the PhD program?

A: No, you do not have to have a Master’s degree. However, you may earn your Master’s degree while pursuing your doctoral work.

Q: Do I have to have previous experience in criminal justice?

A: Some background in criminology, criminal justice, sociology, psychology, or other related fields is strongly preferred, but not required.

Q: Do I have to take the GRE's?

A: Yes, all applicants are required to submit their GRE scores with the application packet. This is true even for students who have taken other standardized exams such as the LSATs. The GRE Code for the Graduate Center is 2113 and the Criminal Justice Program Code is 2202. GRE exams can be arranged by calling 1-800-GRE-CALL. Applicants can upload a copy of the personal score card that they personally receive directly to their online admissions application as part of the duplicate application (official scores must be sent by ETS to the Graduate Center at the code above NOT John Jay College).

Q: What GRE scores do I need?

A: Though the program does not have a “cut off” GRE score, we rarely consider any applicants with GREs under 1000. Students should score above a 50th percentile or must have an exceptional record to be accepted.  Please view the conversion chart for the new GRE scores.  We do not require any specific GRE test.

Q: How do I apply to the PhD program?

A: Detailed instructions on applying to the program can be found on the Graduate Center Admissions official page here.  You may call 212-817-7470 or e-mail your request to: admission@gc.cuny.edu. The CUNY Graduate Center application process is self-managed. Responsibility for gathering required documents such as official transcripts and letters of recommendation rest with the applicant. The GRE Institution Code is 2113.  Completed application forms, transcripts, test scores, and all other supporting material must be submitted to the Graduate Center Admissions Office.

Q: How long will it take me to earn my PhD?

A: The amount of time required to complete the doctorate can vary widely — depending on a student's level of preparation at the time of enrollment, the nature of the dissertation project, work commitments, and other demands on students' time. Criminal Justic core students with a higher degree (e.g., MA, MS, MPA, JD) generally complete the coursework and “qualifying” exams within two years. Most students generally take another 2-3 years to complete the dissertation and oral exams. Students are required to complete the degree within 8 years.

Please review the timeline on Path(s) to Degree

Q: How much is tuition?

A: For up-to-date tuition costs, please visit this Graduate Center Tuition & Fees.

Q: Is preference given to John Jay students?

A: No. The Admissions Committee considers all candidates, domestically and internationally, equally regardless of academic affiliation.

Q: Is study online a possibility?

A: No. The doctoral program does not offer a degree on line, nor do we offer online courses. In order to pursue the Criminal Justice Doctorate you must be in residence for your coursework.

Q: What can I do with a PhD in Criminal Justice?

A: The overall orientation of the program is to develop academics with a strong understanding of theory, methods and the criminal justice system. The program provides students with a strong foundation in the understanding of how to conduct independent research in the field, to serve as research and teaching faculty in universities, colleges, and research institutes, and to function as practitioners in a broad range of settings.

Q: What GPA do I need?

A: Consideration for admission into the Ph.D. program is based on the applicant's completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with a cumulative overall GPA of at least 3.00 (B) on a scale of 4.00. Applicants with a Master's degree should have a 3.50 GPA in their graduate work. However, competitive applicants often have substantially higher GPAs, particularly in graduate work. Special consideration is given to masters level work in research methods and statistics.

Q: What is the curriculum like?

A: Students must complete one year of core course in criminological theory, criminal justice process and policy, research methods and statistics. Students may then choose electives from a broad range of topics, including international and comparative criminal justice, theory, policy, terrorism, policing and advanced methods and statistics.

Q: What is the deadline for the application for admission?

A: The deadline for submitting an application is January 1st. Detailed instructions on applying to the program can be found on the CUNY Graduate Center Admissions official page here.  You may call 212-817-7470 or e-mail your request to: admissions@gc.cuny.edu.

Q: Who are the faculty and what are their interests?

A: Our faculty represent a variety of disciplines and interests related to criminal justice, broadly defined. For a complete list of faculty and their interests, please visit the faculty webpage.


Is a Master's Degree required for admission?


Must entering students hold a degree in French Literature or French Studies as a requirement for entry?

Not necessarily. A number of our students hold degrees in fields such as Philosophy, Theatre, History, Music, and Religion. Because of the interdisciplinary nature of many of our courses and our four curricular options, many students find that their prior training helps them in their current fields of study and research projects. However, most of our students have pursued “traditional” French Literature or French Studies degrees.

Must the writing sample be in French?

We ask that the writing sample, usually an academic essay in which the student demonstrates his/her critical and analytical skills, be at least 10 pages written in French. One sample is required for applicants with BAs and two samples or MA thesis are required for students with MA degrees.

Do I need to take the GRE to be considered for admission? What score will you accept? I took the GRE ten years ago. Will you accept my score?

Yes, the GRE is an admissions requirement and the score is considered along with other academic factors. Our admissions candidates have competitive scores. Scores more than five years old are generally not accepted.

What kinds of letters of recommendation do I need?

Two academic letters of recommendation should be written by a professor who not only knows the candidate well, but can attest to his/ her academic achievements and intellectual abilities. If it has been some time since the applicant was enrolled in college, we may accept letters written by professional acquaintances who can attest to the applicant's ability to complete graduate study, in addition to two academic letters of reference.

I am a foreign student, but I completed my B.A./M.A. at an American university. Do I need to submit TOEFL scores? I am a foreign student but have taught English for many years in France. Is there any other way to attest to my English capabilities besides the TOEFL?

International students must complete the TOEFL examination. International students who have completed degrees in English-speaking countries are generally exempt.
Foreign students who have not obtained degrees in English-speaking countries are required to take the TOEFL exam. More information about the TOEFL can be found at the test administration website, www.ets.org.

I have my Master's Degree. What is the maximum number of credits that will transfer?

Transfer credits will be individually evaluated once the student has entered the program, but up to 30 credits may be awarded to the student. Students with 27 or more credits must take at least 18 credits in the Program. Please see page 4 of the handbook for further information.

My intellectual interests are very diverse and interdisciplinary. How can I complete my PhD in French in your program?

Students are encouraged to pursue their intellectual interests as they enrich their own understanding of French literature. Many of our students are interested in cinema, theatre, international human rights, and performance studies. In addition, it is possible to enroll in one of the Graduate Center's certificate programs.

Are all the courses conducted in French, and must all written work be submitted in French?

Each semester, generally one class is offered in English, and any final paper must be written in the language of the class. In cross-listed fields, it is up to the instructor. Because of the nature of the profession, and the demands of publishers and conferences, students will be required to speak and write fluently in both French and English. In addition, some of our courses are cross-listed with other departments and programs, such as Comparative Literature and Women's Studies; thus, the course will be conducted in English.

How many comprehensive exams are required? How many language proficiency exams are required?

Please see page two of the French Program handbook.

Are there opportunities for Study Abroad?

Undergraduate and graduate students may participate in the CUNY/Paris exchange program. Information about the CUNY/Paris exchange program can be found here:

What is student life like?

Because of the structure of the first-year curriculum, French Program students find a sense of intellectual and social cohesiveness and quickly become mentors for each other in a truly international atmosphere. In addition, the Program arranges several colloquia, conferences, and lectures each year, including an annual Student Conference run by our own graduate students. 

The CUNY Doctoral Students' Council is the main political and social presence of the student body on the Graduate Center campus, and French department students participate in their events and activities. Their website is www.cunydsc.org.

Likewise, French departments students have an active presence in the many chartered organizations at the GC, such as the Africa Research Group, L'Atelier, the French 17th-Century Interdisciplinary Group, and the Middle East Research Group.

What type of housing is available for graduate students? How will I find an apartment in New York City?

Please visit the GC housing Website for information about student housing. In addition, websites like Craigslist and the Village Voice are popular places to find housing information.

It is almost financially impossible to live alone, especially in Manhattan. Most of our students live with roommates in Brooklyn, Queens, or Upper Manhattan. Since our campus is centrally located off of express subway lines, few students have to travel more than 30 minutes to get to class.

What type of health insurance is available to students?

All matriculated graduate students may benefit from Student Health Services, which maintains the Wellness Center. Here, students can receive professional psychological counseling, as well as schedule appointments with the Wellness Center's licensed nurse practitioner for routine medical exams and their ongoing medical needs. The office visits are free of charge, and any lab services needed are provided at an extremely discounted fee.

Matriculated doctoral students at the Graduate Center who are employed as either Graduate Assistants or in one of the eligible Adjunct titles and meet specific income levels in those titles are eligible for health insurance coverage for themselves and their dependents. More information is available here.

What kinds of fellowships are available? Am I required to teach in the first year?

A list of Graduate Center fellowships is available through the Financial Aid office.
The Graduate Teaching Fellowship (GTF) and Graduate Assistant A/B (GAA, GAB) packages require teaching at a CUNY college. There are additional fellowships and aid available that do not require teaching.

What types of teaching appointments are available?

Many, but not all of our students gain employment as adjunct language instructors on one of the CUNY campuses. Students are encouraged to express to the Executive Officer their wish to teach, but requests cannot always be accommodated. Advanced students seek grants through the CUNY Writing Fellows program, Mellon Scholarship, etc. Information about these grants can be found on the GC website.

GC Membership

What are the benefits and costs of membership?

Different levels of membership and accompanying benefits and costs can be found here, but the most important benefit is being a part of the Graduate Center’s vibrant intellectual and cultural community.

Who is eligible for membership?

Anyone who wishes to be a part of the Graduate Center community and help support its academic and public programs.

For how long are memberships valid?

Memberships are valid for the academic year in which they are purchased.

Can I purchase a gift membership?

Not yet, but we will be offering that option in the near future.

Is the cost the same to purchase a membership mid year or at the beginning?

Yes, but keep in mind that ongoing discounts and member events make it worthwhile to join even as the year progresses.

Do I have to show my membership card?

No, the card is for your own reference.

Does my membership card provide special building access?


Can I give my ticket discount code to a non-member?

No, tickets discount codes are only valid for members purchasing tickets.

Is there a limit to the number of tickets I can purchase with my discount code?

No, you may use your code to purchase as many discount tickets as you wish.

Are other membership benefits transferable?

No, all benefits are only for individual members.

Are you on Facebook?

Yes, please join us for late-breaking news, event reminders, and photos from our Public Programs.

Health Services

What is Student Health Services (SHS)?

Student Health Services is a free health clinic for Graduate Center students. A licensed nurse practitioner provides primary health care. Students are seen by appointment or on a limited walk-in bases. SHS can also provide referrals to other low-cost clinics and specialists as needed. Many lab tests can be performed at SHS and students will be billed for these services. Through an arrangement with Mount Sinai Medical Center and subsidies by the Doctoral Students Council, tests are usually inexpensive.

What is a Nurse Practitioner?

A nurse practitioner (NP) is a registered nurse (RN) who has completed advanced education (a minimum of a master's degree) and training in the diagnosis and management of common medical conditions, including chronic illnesses. Nurse practitioners provide a broad range of health care services. They provide some of the same care provided by physicians and maintain close working relationships with physicians. An NP can serve as a patient's regular health care provider.

Nurse practitioners see patients of all ages. The core philosophy of the field is individualized care. Nurse practitioners focus on patients' conditions as well as the effects of illness on the lives of the patients and their families. NPs make prevention, wellness, and patient education priorities. This can mean fewer prescriptions and less expensive treatments. Informing patients about their health care and encouraging them to participate in decisions are central to the care provided by NPs. In addition to health care services, NPs conduct research and are often active in patient advocacy activities. Because the profession is state regulated, care provided by NPs varies. A nurse practitioner's duties include the following:

• Collaborating with physicians and other health professionals as needed, including providing referrals
• Counseling and educating patients on health behaviors, self-care skills, and treatment options
• Diagnosing and treating acute illnesses, infections, and injuries
• Diagnosing, treating, and monitoring chronic diseases (e.g., diabetes, high blood pressure)
• Obtaining medical histories and conducting physical examinations
• Ordering, performing, and interpreting diagnostic studies (e.g., lab tests, x-rays, EKGs)
• Prescribing medications
• Prescribing physical therapy and other rehabilitation treatments
• Providing prenatal care and family planning services
• Providing well-child care, including screening and immunizations
• Providing health maintenance care for adults, including annual physicals

Nurse practitioners provide high-quality, cost-effective individualized care that is comparable to the health care provided by physicians, and NP services are often covered by insurance providers. NPs practice in all states. The institutions in which they work include the following:

• Community clinics and health centers
• Health departments
• Health maintenance organizations (HMOs)
• Home health care agencies
• Hospitals and hospital clinics
• Hospice centers
• Nurse practitioner offices
• Nursing homes
• Nursing schools
• Physician offices
• Private offices
• Public health departments
• School/college clinics
• Veterans Administration facilities
• Walk-in clinics

Most NPs specialize in a particular field of medical care, and there are as many types of NPs as there are medical specialties.

I feel sick. Should I come in?

Keeping in mind your personal factors (age, existing conditions, recent health issues) and your health history, here are some questions to ask yourself that can help you decide if you should call your provider:

• Do I sense that something is urgently wrong? Start here. Trust your instincts and see a doctor if you sense that you need immediate medical attention. Always check out chest pains, loss of consciousness, or new severe physical pain.

• What are my symptoms? Have I had them before? If so, how did they get resolved? Would the same approach work now or is there something different about the symptoms this time? Could they be related to a recent condition or procedure?

• How long have the symptoms been going on? Are they getting better or worse? Generally any symptoms that are not improving after one to two weeks are worth pursuing with a healthcare provider. Pay attention to symptoms that are getting worse (and consider the first question).

• What do I really think would be best for my health (ignoring any worries that I will be a bother if I go to the doctor, or that it will cost too much)?

(Source: http://www.takingcharge.csh.umn.edu/create-healthy-lifestyle/self-care-and-prevention/when-should-you-go-doctor)

Call the Wellness Center first to see if you can walk-in.

How much will this cost me?

Services at the Student Health Services at the Wellness Center provided by the Nurse Practioner are free to currently enrolled graduate students of the CUNY Graduate Center. This includes episodic and primary health care but does not include laboratory testing done off-site. The cost of laboratory testing may be covered by insurance if you have it.
If you are uninsured, laboratory costs for blood and urine tests are substantially reduced through an arrangement with Mount Sinai Medical Center and then reduced further through partial subsidies from the Graduate Center.

For students who are uninsured or underinsured, and require radiology testing, prescriptions, or specialty referral, the SHS attempts to direct students to the least expensive providers, since these services are not connected with the Graduate Center. All students who are uninsured or underinsured are encouraged to investigate possibilities for health insurance and can receive advice through Student Affairs.

Laboratory Testing Fees Information & Agreement

More information on health insurance coverage for Doctoral students
More resources for the uninsured

Do I need health insurance to be treated at the Wellness Center?

NO, you do not need health insurance to be treated at the Wellness Center. Visits are FREE and laboratory tests are low cost. Those students who are not insured are responsible for 30% of all lab fees (if applicable). It is always recommended to sign up for health insurance. Learn more about health insurance options for students at the Grad Center.

Laboratory Testing Fees Information & Agreement

It's an emergency and the Wellness Center is closed! What should I do?

If you are in the Graduate Center, call Security at x7777 immediately. They can get help to you the fastest.

If you need to go to an emergency room, here are several around New York City:

NYU Downtown Hospital, 70 William Street, (212) 312-5063
NYU Langone Medical Center, 550 1st Avenue, (212) 263-5550
Mount Sinai Medical Center, 1190 Fifth Avenue (East Harlem), (212) 241-6500
New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, 525 East 68th Street, (212) 746-0795
Columbia University Medical Center, 622 West 168th Street, (212) 305-6204
The Allen Pavilion Hospital, 5141 Broadway (@ 220th Street), (212) 932-4245
Coler-Goldwater Memorial Hospital, One Main Street, Roosevelt Island, (212) 318-8000

Coney Island Hospital, 2601 Ocean Parkway, (718) 616-3000
Long Island College Hospital, 339 Hicks St (between Atlantic Ave & Pacific St), (718) 522-1099

Montefiore Medical Center, 111 East 210th Street, (718) 741-2000
Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center, 234 East 149th Street, (718) 579-5000

Mount Sinai Queens, 2510 30th Avenue (Astoria), (718) 267-4285
Elmhurst Hospital Center, 79-01 Broadway, (718) 334-4000

Staten Island:
Staten Island University Hospital, NORTH SITE: 475 Seaview Avenue, (718) 226-9000
Staten Island University Hospital, SOUTH SITE: 375 Seguine Avenue, (718) 226-2000

For non-emergencies, see our RESOURCES page for a list of free or low cost health clinics

I need some over-the-counter medication, can I obtain this from the Wellness Center?

The administrative staff is not authorized to dispense of any over-the-counter medication or first aid supplies.  When the Nurse Practitioner is not on site/unavailable for a walk-in visit, please visit the Security Desk in the lobby for assistance.

I am a staff member/adjunct faculty/temporary student, am I eligible for services at the Wellness Center?

Our services are stricly for matriculated registered students of the Graduate Center and CUNY Graduate School of Journalism.

I'm an incoming Grad Center student. How do I go about submitting proof of immunizations?

Per New York State law, all incoming students MUST submit proof of immunizations in order to be able to register for classes. All immunization requirements and forms can be found on our Immunization page. Often the easiest way to obtain your immunization records is to request them from your undergraduate college. Even if you attended another CUNY college for undergrad, you must request a copy of your immunization records to be sent to the Graduate Center.

Alternatively, please visit our Immunizations page to locate outside health clinics that will provide vaccinations free of charge. If you have one, consult your Primary Care Physician for immunization records or to request a blood test showing immunity.

Lastly, Meningococcal Meningitis shots are NOT required. However failure to properly complete and submit the Meningococcal Meningitis Response Form will result in a registration hold.

How do I obtain a copy of my immunization records?

Please fill out the immunization record request form and allow 3 business days processing time. 

You may drop off, fax, or email the request form:
Wellness Center
Student Health Services
365 Fifth Avenue, Suite 6422
New York, NY 10016
212-817-7020 (phone)
212-817-1602 (fax)

Please note that we keep immunization records on file 7 years from the date of admission.

I’m a Graduate Center student at another campus. Should I go here or to Student Health Services on my home campus?

If you are registered as a Graduate Center student and pay your tuition here, you must come to Student Health Services at the Graduate Center, not the health center at another campus. You must go to the health center at the school for which you are registered and pay your tuition. E-permit students must go to their "home campus" for services (where they pay tuition, not where they are permitted to take a class). If you have further questions, please call us at 212-817-7020.

What about Psychological Counseling?

A wide range of Psychological Counseling is also available at the GC Wellness Center. Visit Student Counseling Services for more info.


Who is eligible to rent in the Graduate Center Apartments complex?

All matriculated graduate students at The Graduate Center, The School of Journalism, and other CUNY campuses are eligible. Students need to be in good academic and financial standing as well as progressing toward a degree.

How long is the license, and how is it different from a lease?

The license has a 12-month term. It functions like a lease, except that a renter must maintain eligibility in order for it to remain in effect.

How long can I live there?

Licenses will be renewed annually for students who remain in good academic and financial standing.

How do you decide whom to accept?

All eligible students will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. Those students who have been accepted must sign the license agreement and make the necessary deposit.

What deposits are required?

Two-months' rent is required at the signing of the license–-one as a refundable security deposit and the other as the first month’s rent.

What utilities are included in the rent?

Heat and water are included; electricity, telephone, and cable service will be billed separately.

Do I need a credit check or references to become eligible?

No. The only initial eligibility factor is your status as a student in good standing and progressing toward a degree.

Are the apartments furnished?

Yes. Each bedroom will have a bed, mattress, dresser, desk, and chair. The common area will have a kitchen table, chairs, and lounge furniture. The kitchen includes a stovetop, microwave, refrigerator, sink, and cabinets. There are no dishes, linens, pots, pans, or cutlery.

Can I choose my roommates?

Two-, three-, and four-bedroom units will be occupied by individual students. Groups of students who want to share units may do so upon request. Of course, all must be eligible and have been selected for residence.

Can my spouse/partner and/or children live in the residence?

Yes. Students with spouses, partners, and/or children must rent entire units. These will be studios or one- or two-bedroom units.

Will the building have a live-in superintendent?

Yes. A superintendent will have 24/7 responsibilities to respond to facility, maintenance and mechanical issues.

Will the building have a doorman?

The building will have a virtual doorman, i.e., each apartment will be equipped with a video intercom connected to the building’s front door.

What if I don’t have anyone specific to live with?

Individual students may license an entire unit or may license a bedroom in a multi-bedroom unit. If you license a bedroom in a multi-bedroom unit, the other occupants of the unit will be assigned by the Graduate Center.

May I sublet my license?

No. Subletting is a violation of the license agreement.

Is smoking allowed in my unit?

No. The entire facility is smoke free, including terraces, the rooftop garden, and the first-floor lounge.

Can I have pets or animals in my unit?

No. Animals of any kind are not allowed in the facility except as assistance for the disabled.

Is there on-site parking?

No. All that is available is street parking.

What if my roommates don’t pay their rent?

Each student is living on a separate license. You are only responsible for your own payment each month.

What happens after you receive my application?

Your application will be placed on a waiting list. You will receive an email reply with additional instructions and will be contacted by the GC Housing Office as vacancies become available.

Does the residence have a security guard?

Yes. There is an assigned guard 24/7.

Does the building have security cameras?

Yes. There are security cameras located both within the building as well as in front of the building.

May I have packages accepted on my behalf?

Yes. As a resident you may make prior arrangements with the security desk to receive packages on your behalf.

How close is public transportation located?

There are subways and buses located two blocks from the residence building. In addition, the security desk has telephone numbers for taxi pick-up.

Human Resources

Are College Assistants eligible for a CUNY tuition waiver?

No. Some College Assistants are eligible for tuition reimbursement as through the DC 37 Education Fund benefit. For more information, please go to DC37.net or call DC 37 at (212) 815-1234.

Are College Assistants eligible for paid holidays?

No. As hourly employees, College Assistants are paid for hours actually worked.

CUNY Flexible Spending Accounts Program

When does an hourly employee begin to accrue sick/annual leave?

Civil Service part-time employees must complete 500 hours of work for the fiscal year before using approved annual sick leave. Once the 500-hour threshhold has been met, employees with continuous service may use annual/sick leave as it accrues in subsequent years.

Are full-time doctoral students in Adjunct titles eligible for health insurance?

Full-time doctoral students who are employed in one of the eligible Adjunct titles who earn at least $4,122 per year or at least $2,061 per semester are eligible for NYSHIP.  For more information contact Teena Costabile at 212-817-7700.

Where can I mail or send the workload reporting form?

Workload reporting forms are due in our office by the deadlines established for each semester. After it is completed and has all of the required signatures, you may send your workload reporting form to the Office of Human Resources located in room 8403 at The Graduate Center. The form can be faxed to: (212) 817-1639 or emailed to: HR@gc.cuny.edu.

Are Graduate Assistants eligible for health insurance?

Graduate Assistants are eligible for health insurance coverage.  Health insurance is made available through the Student Employee Health Plan (SEHP), a component of the New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP).

As a Graduate Assistant can I accept other employment within CUNY?

 Employment within CUNY for Graduate Assistants is governed by the workload provisions under Article 15.3 of the Agreement between CUNY and PSC-CUNY.

Graduate students holding the title Graduate Assistant A shall have an assignment of a maximum of 240 contact teaching hours or 450 hours of non-teaching assignments during the academic year (including the summer session) and may not accept any other position within CUNY.
Graduate students holding the title Graduate Assistant B shall have an assignment of a maximum of 120 classroom teaching hours or 225 hours of non-teaching assignments during the academic year. If a Graduate Assistant B also holds an adjunct or non-teaching adjunct position, his or her total combined assignment may not exceed 240 contact teaching hours or 450 hours of a non-teaching assignment during the academic year (including the summer session).
Graduate students holding the title Graduate Assistant C shall have an assignment of a maximum of 180 classroom teaching hours during the academic year. If a Graduate Assistant C also holds an adjunct position, his or her total combined assignment may not exceed 270 hours during the academic year (including the summer session).

Graduate Students holding the title Graduate Assistant D shall have an assignment of a maximum of 100 hours of a non-teaching assignment during the academic year.  If a GAD also holds an adjunct position, the total combined assignment may not exceed 280 teaching hours or 325 hours of a non-teaching assignment during the academic year (including the summer session).

As a Graduate Assistant do I get paid in the summer months?

Yes, if you have an annual appointment that covers both fall and spring semester, you will be paid during the summer months of July and August.

Can Graduate Assistants teach in the summer?

Summer teaching assignments are based on yearly agreement between CUNY and PSC-CUNY to permit Graduate Assistants to accept assignments in addition to the maximum workload covered in Article 15.3 of the PSC/CUNY collective bargaining agreement. When such Agreements occur, Graduate Assistants may accept summer assignments, subject to the same limitations on hours that apply to full-time and adjunct faculty. Status of such an agreement for each summer is uncertain and Graduate Assistants will be notified if an agreement is reached.

How are Graduate Assistants paid? When can Graduate Assistants expect my first paycheck?

Graduate Assistants are paid on a biweekly basis provided that they have submitted the required documents to the Office of Human Resources for processing their appointments. Graduate Assistants should expect their first paycheck in a timely manner after the start of the semester. Please refer to the “Payroll Calendar” section on our website for payroll dates.

What are the Graduate Center's Graduate Assistant appointment categories?

Program Titles Payroll Contract Titles
Macaulay Honors College Instructional Technology Fellows
CUNY Clinical Psychology Fellows
Graduate Assistant A

Teaching/Non-Teaching GABs

Writing Across the Curriculum Fellows
Graduate Assistant B
Graduate Teaching Fellows Graduate Assistant C
Graduate Assistant D Graduate Assistant D

When does my Graduate Assistant appointment begin and what are the dates of my employment?

Graduate Assistant appointments typically cover a twelve month period from late August through late August of the following year. Occasionally a Graduate Assistant may be appointed for a semester, which covers a six-month period. You may refer to your appointment letter for the specific appointment period and salary information.

Do I accrue 25 days [of leave time] a year?

Non-teaching Instructional employees accrue leave according to the contract based on appointment date and many other factors. Please contact the timekeeper in Human Resources for your accrual rate.

How long do I have to work in the month to accrue time?

15 work days for civil service employees, a full calendar month for Non-teaching Instructional Staff (HEO Series).

Are the timesheet forms on the web?

Yes, the fillable forms are located in the FORMS section of the Human Resources website.

Where can I obtain an employment verification letter?

Graduate Assistants may request employment verification letters by sending an email to the Office of Human Resources at hr@gc.cuny.edu. The Office of Human Resources must have a written consent for release of information. Please allow five-seven business days for the issuance of the letter. Click here for the form.

Why didn’t I receive my paycheck from the Payroll Office?

If you did not elect to enroll in the direct deposit program, you must pick up your paycheck from the Bursar’s window during regular business hours. The Bursar’s window is located opposite the Payroll Office window. If you are enrolled in the direct deposit program, your paycheck stub from the Payroll Office will be mailed to your home address. You may also have a representative pick up your paychecks but they must bring a picture ID and a signed letter authorizing your representative to pick up your paychecks.

Why didn’t my paycheck go into my bank account when I’ve been enrolled in the direct deposit program for a long time?

When you have not worked and received a paycheck for more than 3 payroll periods, the payroll system will automatically terminate you from the direct deposit account program. Should you return to work after you have been off payroll for more than 3 payroll periods, your first pay will be in the form of a check until you contact the Payroll Office in writing to confirm your banking account information.

Where can I obtain information about tuition remission?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office or consult your Executive Officer regarding tuition remission and related matters.

Are sons and daughters of CUNY employees eligible for tuition waivers?

No, none of the collective bargaining Agreements provide this benefit.

Human Subjects IRB

What is the IRB?

An IRB (Institutional Review Board for human participants) is a group of at least five individuals with varying backgrounds to promote complete and adequate review of research studies. An IRB conducts the initial and annual reviews of a research study.

What is research?

Research is defined as a systematic investigation, including pilot research, testing, and evaluation, designed to develop or contribute to generalizable knowledge. Activities that meet this definition constitute research that needs to receive IRB approval before the research can begin.

What is a human participant?

A human participant is a living individual about whom a researcher obtains data through intervention or interaction (interviews) with the individual, or through identifiable private information (data with identifiers).

What is exempt research?

Exempt does not mean exempt from IRB review. The IRB, rather than the researcher, determines when research is exempt. Researchers proposing exempt research should submit an IRB application requesting exempt review. Examples of exempt research include educational tests, surveys, or interviews without individual identification or the use of existing data, documents, or other records without individual identifiers.

How do I know if I should submit a research application to the IRB?

If an investigator's (faculty and students) research project involves any human participants (including observation, interviews, surveys, and data collection), an IRB application must be submitted. (IRB approval cannot be given retroactively.)

It is recommended that PIs look at the Research Determination Form.

At times it is difficult to determine if a project constitutes research under the federal definition of research. The purpose of this form is to solicit sufficient preliminary information from the project staff for the IRB to provide a determination regarding whether the federal human subjects protection regulations apply to the project.
Research involving the use of existing data may not need an Exempt IRB approval. Researchers should submit a Research Determination Form and provide as much information as possible on how thoroughly the data have been de-identified.

Do I need to take training to conduct research with human participants?

Human participant training must be completed by the principal investigator, faculty advisor, and key personnel before an IRB application can receive approval. CUNY uses the Collaborative IRB Initiative Training (CITI) program. The CITI program is a web-based human subjects training program designed and updated by a number of IRB professionals and is housed at the University of Miami. It is used by hundreds of institutions to satisfy the federal regulations training requirement. The direct link is www.citiprogram.org.

What are the review categories of an IRB application?

There are three review categories depending on the potential risk to the participants:
Full Review (high risk) needs full IRB review
Expedited Review (minimal risk) needs two IRB members to review
Exempt Review (low or no risk) and is reviewed by the Chair of the IRB

What criteria do reviewers apply when looking at my research project?

Purpose, methodology, adequate handling of the informed consent, whether the research deals with high risk or sensitive issues and, if so, whether the benefits outweigh the risks, and the degree to which confidentiality is both assured and protected.

What is the difference between anonymity and confidentiality with research subjects?

Anonymity means the researcher has no record of the identity of the participants. For example, having participants mail back questionnaires or hand them back in a group, without names or other unique identifiers. Or working with data where all the identifiers have been removed.

Confidentiality means the researcher knows the identity of the participants but will keep the participants' identity and all identifying characteristics confidential.

What should my application say about risk?

Research participants may be exposed to physical, psychological, social, and economic risks. Very few studies involve no risk.

Do I need IRB approval for oral history interviews?


Liberal Studies

Can I create my own area of specialization within the Liberal Studies Program?

Students can choose one of the recognized tracks and take two required core courses in that area. For greater latitude in choosing electives, students can consider specializing in one of the broader tracks such as Western Intellectual Traditions, American Studies, Digital Humanities, or Approaches to Modernity. Students may also take other Liberal Studies courses if desired. in addition. We do not currently offer a degree made up entirely of elective courses.

Can I enroll as a part-time student? What counts as part-time?

Yes, students can enroll for one or more courses per semester. Please visit the Tuition and Fees for current information.

Can I start in the Spring semester?

Yes. Please see the GC’s Application Deadlines page for current deadlines.

Can I take courses outside the Liberal Studies Program?

Yes, the program is designed so that students can choose courses from the various doctoral program offerings, depending on their chosen track as well as their specific interests. Students must take two courses in a single track within the program (6 credits) along with the Introduction to Graduate Liberal Studies (3 credits). They are encouraged to take most of the other 18 credits of course work in the various Ph.D. programs.

Can you describe the profile of your typical student?

Our student population is diverse and resists easy caricature. Some of our students are recent college graduates who have decided to pursue graduate study; some are librarians seeking a second Master’s degree; some are retired professionals taking courses for personal edification; others are seeking a career change. We welcome inquiries from prospective students and regularly set up pre-application informational interviews.

Does the program offer classes at night or on weekends?

A number of courses are offered on weeknights from 6:30-8:30 pm. There are no weekend classes.

How large are the classes?

The typical class size is about 12-15 students.

How long does it usually take to earn the degree?

Students who take two classes per semester can expect to complete the 30-credit degree in two and a half years.

May I take courses at other universities within the consortial system?

The doctoral consortial arrangement is open only to students enrolled in a doctoral (not master’s) program.

Must I take the GRE? What is the Average or Minimum Score?

No, the GRE is not required.

Each application is reviewed as a whole with all elements of the application package carefully considered. The committee pays attention to the student’s record of academic achievement as reflected in the transcripts, the student’s potential for graduate work as demonstrated by recommendations, and the student’s background and reasons for pursuing an M.A. at The Graduate Center, as expressed in the personal statement.

If I enter with some completed graduate work, will those credits transfer?
The Liberal Studies Program will accept toward the 30 credits for the M.A. a maximum of 12 credits earned in another graduate program. The following restrictions apply to these transfer credits:

  • Must have been completed with a grade of B or higher.

  • Must be comparable to courses offered by the Ph.D. programs at The Graduate Center. (Courses in creative or professional writing are not acceptable for transfer credit.)

What financial aid is available?

Federal work-study awards are available to qualified applicants. Please see the Financial Aid Office’s website for more information.

What kind of jobs do graduates find after completing the degree?

Some people stay in the jobs they have; some will be qualified for advancement because of this additional degree; some apply for doctoral study; others find that this new degree will equip them to find a variety of new positions in business, media, education, and social programs.

When can I apply to the program?

Please see the GC’s Application Deadlines page for current deadlines.

Where are classes held, and how often do they meet?

All classes meet at the Graduate School and University Center, 365 Fifth Avenue, at 34th Street. Most classes meet once a week.

Why should I apply to the Liberal Studies Program?

Students apply to the program for a variety of reasons: (1) They have an intellectual project they wish to pursue; (2) They need or want a Master’s Degree; (3) They are interested in a particular field offered in one of the nineteen MALS tracks; (4) They are attracted to the options for interdisciplinary study offered by the MALS program; (5) They are thinking of Ph.D. work but are unsure of the particular course of study they wish to pursue; (6) They are interested in studying with the distinguished faculty of the CUNY Graduate Center.

Will I be writing a Master’s thesis?

Yes. The final three credits for the thirty-credit degree are for MALS 79000, Thesis Research. Students should begin thinking about a thesis topic, and choosing a thesis adviser, when they have accumulated about eighteen credits. The adviser should be an instructor who is interested in the proposed thesis project. The required thesis should be fifty to sixty pages long.

Nursing Science

Where do I find The Graduate Center Academic Calendar?

To view the Graduate Center academic calender click here.

Are there any tuition benefits if I am a full-time CUNY faculty member or a CUNY adjunct?

Full-time CUNY faculty members and CUNY adjuncts should contact their home colleges to see if they are eligible for tuition-waivers.

Can I go part time?

No. The PhD program was designed to be a full-time, cohort program. Students are admitted once per year, in the Fall semester, and progress through the program together.

How does the DNS degree differ from the PhD?

Both are research doctorates, concerned with theory testing. However, the DNS is focused on testing theory specifically related to nursing sensitive patient outcomes.

How long is the PhD program?

The program coursework and dissertation seminar are designed to be completed in a 6 semester period.  Additional 3-credit semesters of dissertation seminar may be necessary until the dissertation is completed. The PhD will take four years to complete.

How many credits is the PhD program?

The coursework is 50 credits.  Additional dissertation seminar credits may be necessary.

I'm an international student. What do I need to know about applying to the program?

Translations and evaluation of transcripts from colleges outside the U.S. must be completed early in the application process.  The Office of International Students at the Graduate Center collects the documents and issues the I-20.  Please refer to the graduate catalog or graduate application for more detailed information.

Is financial aid offered?

For information about financial aid please click here.

What are the admissions criteria for the CUNY Nursing PhD Program?

For information on admissions criteria for the CUNY Nursing PhD Program, please click here.

What are the graduation requirements?

Satisfactory completion of the following:

  • 50 credits in the nursing program
  • First examination
  • Second examination
  • The dissertation

What if I have not taken all of the required prerequisite courses?

Please speak with the program adviser concerning options.

What is the PhD in Nursing?

The PhD in Nursing is a research degree for post masters level nurses. Candidates for the PhD in Nursing must write a dissertation.

What is the First Examination?

The First Examination is administered after 20 credits of doctoral study have been completed. It is a written examination that consists of essay questions representing core content in nursing science and nursing knowledge, measurement, health disparities and policy initiatives. If the First Examination is not passed the first time, the student must pass the retest administered during the following semester. The student must pass the retest in order to remain in the program.

What is The Graduate Center Tuition?

To learn about the Graduate Center's tuition and fees click here.

Please Note:
All fees and tuition charges are subject to change by action of the Board of Trustees of The City University of New York without prior notice.

What is the Second Examination?

The Second Examination is a two-part examination. Part one consists of a written preliminary research proposal. Part two consists of an oral presentation of the written research proposal and response to questions posed by the Examination Committee.

What will the PhD prepare me to do?

The PhD in Nursing will prepare you to conduct research focused on nursing sensitive patient outcomes in many settings. In addition, those who have earned a PhD are eligible to hold positions in academia.

When will I reach Level 2?

Once 20 credits of coursework at The Graduate Center are completed, students will take the First Examination. Students will be advanced to Level 2 after successful completion of the First Examination and 45 credits of coursework.

Where and when are the classes held?

Classes will be held at The Graduate Center of CUNY on Fridays from 9:00am to 6:30pm


What does "Ombuds" mean?

Ombud, a common word in the Swedish language, means the people's representative, agent, attorney, solicitor, deputy, proxy, or delegate.

What is the Ombuds Office, and what does an ombuds do?

The Ombuds Office is a confidential, informal, impartial, and non-adversarial alternative for the resolution of work-related problems and conflicts. We are a designated neutral in handling such issues.

Who can use your office?

Along with students and faculty, any staff employee, student employee, supervisor, manager or executive can use our services.

What do you mean by conflict and what kinds of issues can you help with?

The Ombuds Office can informally help with many issues involving many kinds of conflict in the workplace. We can provide an outside perspective on a work-related problem, or ust a confidential and informal sounding board to discuss options for handling a particular dilemma. Conflicts between co-workers, between manager and employee, or between managers involving communication problems, treatment issues, job status worries, organizational difficulties and many, many other issues of concern in the Graduate Center work environment can be confidentially discussed in this office.

What exactly do you mean by saying that the Ombuds Office is impartial—doesn't the University pay your salary? How is your office different from other CUNY offices that deal with employee issues?

The Graduate School does pay the Ombuds officer's salary, but it established an Ombuds Office in 1993 as a campus resource for informal resolution of workplace conflicts and concerns, fully understanding that the role requires independence, impartiality, and neutrality. The Ombuds Office remains informal and neutral throughout your relationship with the office. We do not advocate for any one side, but are enthusiastic advocates for fairness, equity, justice, and humane treatment in the workplace.

What if I want to take formal action on my situation?

You should try to resolve your concerns informally through available channels before resorting to the formal. Talking to us, however, does not preclude your using formal complaint and grievance procedures if your attempts at informal resolution don't succeed. Once an employee begins working with a representative in order to invoke a formal process, this office cannot participate, assist, or interfere.


What do I need to prepare for a job search?

The first thing you will need is a curriculum vitae (CV).

Your initial contact with a department in which you seek a position will in all probability be through a cover letter indicating that you are applying for a job there (more about the cover letter below) accompanied by your CV. How well you present yourself in your CV will in all probability determine whether your candidacy for the position is further considered. It is therefore very important for you to construct your CV in a way best highlights those aspects of your education, training, and experience that make you an attractive candidate for the job that you are applying for. To this end, your CV you should include the following:

  1. Your educational experience, i.e., where you went to school and what you majored and minored in;

  2. Any degrees you have earned (along with expected date of completion of your Ph.D. if you have not yet completed it);

  3. The title of your Ph.D. thesis. (Including the name of your thesis advisor or the people on your thesis committee is also a good idea.);

  4. Honors and awards that you have received (including money grants);

  5. Academic publications: books, journal articles, book reviews, Introductions to others' books, collections of articles that you have anthologized and edited. Include publications of which you are the sole or the joint author or editor, but indicate which publications you have jointly authored or edited (and with whom);

  6. Talks you have given (at colloquia or at conferences);

  7. Jobs that you have held that have provided you with experience relevant to the position that you are now applying for, including teaching assistantships, grader, and working as a tutor or substitute teacher;

  8. Two or three people who may be contacted and who can speak to your achievements, potential, and suitability for the job. Make sure that each of the persons whose names you include agrees to be a referee for you. It is also a good idea to have these people write a letter on your behalf that should be placed in your Placement file. (More about your Placement file below.)

All the items in categories 1-7 should be listed chronologically, with dates specified.

It is a good idea to bring in a hard copy draft of your CV to the Philosophy Department Placement Officer who will go over it with you and, if necessary, make suggestions for its improvement.

The second thing you will need is a cover letter.
Although one and the same CV will serve for most jobs that you are applying for, the cover letter you send as part of your application should be tailored to the specific job you are applying for.

Nonetheless, it would be useful for you to construct a "template" which could be filled in in various ways according to the specification of different jobs. One of the reasons that it is good to have a template ready is that sometimes jobs are announced with little time to assemble all the documents required for application. It is best to have as must prepared beforehand as possible. Your cover letter should indicate the exact position to which you are applying and, in general terms-the details will be supplied in your CV), your qualifications for the job. State when you will be available for an interview and where you can be reached. Finally, if someone known to the department suggested that you apply, it is a good idea to include the name of that person.

The third thing you may need is a writing sample.
Note that this is not always required.

The sample might be a short paper that you have done for a course or some article you have sent in for publication. If you are applying for a position at an undergraduate institution in which your duties will be primarily teaching duties, do not send in a very technical paper as your sample. On the other hand, if you are applying for a position at a research institution where you will be expected to be teaching graduate students as well as undergraduates, a detailed and technical paper as a writing sample is appropriate.

The fourth thing you will need are recommendations.

You should assemble at least three letters from those who are professionally qualified to judge your work and who will attest to the quality of your work and your attractiveness as a candidate for a position in philosophy.

Choose as your referees persons who are well acquainted with your work so that they can write about you in some detail. A letter from your dissertation advisor is advisable as s/he is likely to know your work especially well. In addition, if you are already teaching, a letter from the department head or from one your colleagues who can attest to your teaching abilities and value as a faculty member is a good idea.

Letters of recommendation are almost never sent directly by you to the place you are applying to. They are either sent directly by your referee or, if you wish, via the Placement Services of the Graduate Center. (See the answer to the next question for more information concerning the GC Placement Service.)

If you use the Placement Service of the GC, make sure that your letters of reference are up to date, especially if you are applying for a position long after your reference letters have been written and there is relevant new information that should be included in your letters. Updating your letter may take the form of having your referees write new letters, having them write addenda to letters already written, or having new referees add to the stock of letters you already have on file.

Three letters of recommendation are usually deemed sufficient.

How do I use the Placement Services of the Graduate Center?

To use the placement services of the GC, go to the Office of Student Affairs (located on the 7th floor) and fill out a card that will initiate the opening of a file for you. You will also be asked to fill out some standard forms with biographical information about yourself (such as the course work you have completed, work experience, citizenship status, educational background, etc.). Once you have established a file in the Office of Student Affairs you may ask your referees to send (or fax) their recommendations directly to that office. If you have your recommendations sent by fax to the Office of Student Affairs, have it directed to the attention of Judy Koster, to be placed in your file. (The Student Affairs office has special forms that can be given to your referees, but your referees can also write their letters of reference on official letterhead.)

Once you have established a file at the Office of Student Affairs you don't have to bother your referees every time you apply for a position. All you need do is request that the Office of Student Affairs send out a copy of your recommendations (or entire file) to prospective employers. (The Office of Student Affairs will, however, act only upon a written request containing your name, department, and exactly what you would like mailed out, i.e., all reference letters in the file, some letters in the file, or the complete dossier.) You must supply duplicate labels for each mailing-one for the mailing envelope and one for the file. For fewer than 10 requests, there is no charge for the service that the Student Affairs office provides. Requests in excess of 10 are charged a $1.00 per request fee.

Note that other materials of your application, such as your CV, transcripts, and writing sample, etc. are not handled by the Student Affairs office, but are sent separately by you to wherever it is that you are applying.

Since many of the documents required in an application may take considerable time to assemble, it is best to embark on the construction of your dossier as soon as you have made some headway on your dissertation and have people who can and are willing to write on your behalf. Do not leave this till the last minute.

Webmaster's note: Since the original publication of this FAQ, the Graduate Center now provides Dossier Services through Interfolio Inc. This service stores and delivers applications materials.

How do I find out about job offers?

Job offers are made known to students in various ways: sometimes job offerings for adjunct positions are phoned in to the department and then made known to students through the Assistant Program Office, Rosemary Iannuzzi. This is true for many positions at the various CUNY undergraduate campuses, as well as for non-CUNY colleges within the metropolitan area.

The best source for a listing of full-time positions- both academic and non-academic -that are on offer in philosophy is through the American Philosophical Association's Jobs for Philosophers. Jobs for Philosophers is published 4 times a year and is mailed free of charge to all APA members who request it. The publication can also be accessed (by APA members) through the APA Website.

The listing of jobs in Jobs for Philosophers is by geographic location. Each listing contains a description of the position on offer including the nature of the courses to be taught and the course load, the area of specialization and/or competence sought, departmental duties other than teaching (for example, thesis supervision, curriculum planning, and departmental meetings), the rank and salary range, the essential and the desirable credentials and qualifications for the job, and whether the position is a tenure-track one or a Visiting position (and for how long). Each listing also details the documents that must be sent in as part of the application, the deadline for receipt of the application, and the address to which the documents should be sent.

Job listings that come in too late to be placed in Jobs for Philosophers are posted on a bulletin board at the Eastern Division Annual Meetings, usually under the heading Job Postings. (See below for using the Job Postings and the APA Placement Service.)

Students should be aware that although Jobs for Philosophers is probably the best source for philosophy jobs, The Chronicle of Higher Education also contains a list of academic and administrative positions for which philosophy graduates may be qualified. (The Graduate Center library, as well as most public libraries, carries The Chronicle.)

What else can I do to prepare?

a) Practice being interviewed.

Most departments fill their job vacancies only upon meeting and interviewing a number of prospective candidates. For this reason it is best to learn how to present oneself to one's best advantage in an interview. This is a skill best worked on before the interview when a prospective job is not at stake. To help you prepare for your interview, the Placement Officer can set up a mock interview during which some faculty members from the Placement committee (or chosen by the Placement committee) will "interview" you, asking the sorts of questions that are typically asked of job candidates. You will learn how you field different sorts of questions, the sorts of things you should be thinking about (for example, how you would answer the question of what you would include in an introductory philosophy course for non-majors; how you would explain your thesis to members of a philosophy department to which you may be applying but who do not work within your particular field of interest; how you would construct a seminar around a particular topic that you might be asked to teach). At the end of the mock interview, the interviewing faculty will talk with you about the strengths and the weaknesses of your performance and answer any questions that you might have.

From what students have told us, the experience of the mock interview is one of the most helpful services that the Placement Committee offers. It gives you critical, but constructive and supportive feedback on a part of the job search process that is often one of the most harrowing for candidates.

b) Practice teaching.

Sometimes, as part of the application process, a department will require that a candidate teach a class while on a campus visit. Getting some teaching experience is invaluable preparation for this. (If you have already taught at an institution and have had positive peer and/or student evaluation reports, it is a good idea to include these in your dossier, to be sent out by the Student Affairs office as part of your file.)

What role does the APA play in helping me secure a job?

The APA has a Placement service that coordinates institutions that wish to fill vacancies and persons wishing to fill those vacancies. However, to take advantage of this service (described below) you must be a member of the APA and you must also register for the Eastern Division Meetings at which you wish to use the Placement service.

The way the APA Placement Service works is as follows:
You register for use of the Placement Service either in advance by mail, or once you have arrived at the Eastern Division Annual Meetings. If you want to register by mail you will find the application form included in the APA Proceedings that contains material relevant to the Meetings. Once you have sent in your registration, you will be issued a Placement number (that will be on the back of the name-tag that you are issued at the meetings). If you do not register in advance, then upon your arrival at the Meetings, go to the Placement Desk-where you can find information about and instruction for using the APA Placement Service. You can register at the Desk and receive a Placement number. (Since you must be a member of the APA in order to use their Placement Service, APA membership applications are usually available here as well as at the Registration Desk). Your Placement # functions as an "address": Each person registering for Placement has a file folder with his or her number on it. That folder will contain information regarding where you can be reached during the Meetings (on a form that you will be given), as well as "Request for Interview" forms. (Usually about 10 "Request for Interview" forms are in each folder. You can obtain more at the Placement Desk.) Fill out a 'Request for Interview' form for each institution that you would like to be interviewed by, attach a copy of your CV to the form, and deposit it in the designated place (usually a box marked "Request for Interviews" in the Job Candidate's area. (Note that some institutions do not accept 'on site' arrangements and only interview candidates with whom they have made prior arrangements. Some agree to accept CV's but not interviews requests. A list of institutions that are using the Placement Service will appear on a bulletin board along indicating whether the institution is accepting on-site requests for interviews.)

Each institution looking to fill a position will review the requests forwarded to it and respond either positively or negatively to your request for an interview. That response will be placed in your folder. It is therefore important for you to check your folder frequently to make sure that you receive invitations for interviews promptly.

Interviews may be conducted in any one of a number of places: at tables assigned to institutions that register for this purpose-a list will be made available of the tables that have been assigned to interviewing institutions); hotel rooms; or elsewhere. Please note that interviews may be scheduled during hours that the Placement Desk is closed.

Make sure that you bring multiple copies of your CV to the Meetings in case you have the opportunity to have an unanticipated interview.

If you have a problem or a complaint concerning the Placement Service you can make an appointment with the Placement Ombudsperson. He or she can be contacted through the Placement Desk.

Will the department have a representative at the convention?

The department generally does have several of its faculty at the convention, and we generally have a table at which faculty and students can gather in the evenings. You can find out the number of the table assigned to us by asking one of the APA staff for a list of the numbered tables and the institutions assigned to them. (This is a good way to look up friends at other institutions, too.)

Public Health

What is a DPH Degree?

The Doctor of Public Health degree is offered by Schools of Public Health and public health programs to prepare researchers, managers, public health leaders and university faculty. It is a research degree for people who already have a Masters in Public Health or in a related field.

How does the DPH degree differ from a PhD in Public Health?

Both are degrees that prepare public health researchers and both require substantial independent research and a dissertation. In general, the DPH is focused more on practice-based research while the PhD puts more emphasis on theory and creation of new knowledge. While public health leaders have debated the relative purposes of the DPH and PhD for years, in practice both degrees prepare people for a variety of leadership positions in public health.

Is the CUNY DPH program part of an accredited School of Public Health?

Yes. The CUNY School of Public Health is accredited as a School of Public Health from the Council on Education for Public Health and is a consortium of four CUNY colleges: the Graduate Center; Hunter College; Brooklyn College; and Lehman College. The Graduate Center of CUNY awards the DPH degree with the CUNY School of Public Health.


What degrees in Public Health does the Graduate Center of CUNY offer?

Currently, the Graduate Center of CUNY offers the DPH degree. The four year consortium schools as part of the CUNY School of Public Health offer undergraduate and Master's level degrees in Public Health.

What are job opportunities for CUNY DPH graduates?

CUNY DPH graduates find employment in public health agencies, voluntary health organizations, medical centers, research institutes, community organizations, advocacy groups, private companies and universities as researchers, senior managers, and faculty members. As the aging public health workforce retires, it is expected there will be strong demand for senior public health personnel with strong research and organizational skills.

What sets the CUNY DPH Program apart from others?

Several themes define the unique approaches that distinguish the CUNY DPH Program. These include:

  • Focus on urban public health;

  • Multi-level analysis, research and intervention;

  • Goal is to understand and improve living conditions and health and reduce inequities;

  • Interdisciplinary blend of public health and social, behavioral and natural sciences;

  • Practice and research-oriented;

  • Collaboration with city agencies and public health institutions (e.g. DOHMH, DOE, HHC);

  • Diversity -- CUNY programs, students, faculty.

What tracks are in the CUNY DPH program and what are the goals of each of those tracks?

  • Community, Society and Health (CSH)
    This track prepares researchers and public health practitioners to advance scientific understanding of the social determinants of health, health behaviors, the delivery of health services, and the development of sound health policies. CSH graduates will be able to lead, plan, manage, and evaluate community health interventions. The track draws on the methods and theories from multiple disciplines to prepare students to design and implement public health programs and research/evaluation studies.

  • Epidemiology (EPI)
    The mission of the Epidemiology Track of the DPH Program is to train epidemiologists as researchers and public health practitioners with a set of core competencies making them capable of rigorously applying epidemiological and biostatistical methods to the wide array of public health challenges. This includes the ability to: authoritatively generate, contribute, and disseminate new knowledge to their fields through research; to be critical consumers of evidence generated by others in their field; and to become independent, lifelong learners in development and application of epidemiologic methods. This mission is achieved through the teaching of epidemiologic methods and their applications to pressing public health problems, promotion of independent learning, and hands-on mentoring of rigorous, impactful and innovative epidemiologic research in the dissertation phase.

  • Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH)
    The EOH track trains doctoral-level researchers and teachers about Environmental and Occupational Health problems affecting populations. Students have backgrounds in environmental science, occupational health, industrial hygiene, environmental policy, environmental epidemiology, and other related fields. The program includes a focus on Environmental and Occupational Health regulation, as well as planning and its impact on human health. The curriculum combines an understanding of how elements of the urban infrastructure – e.g., the built environment, commerce and productive activities, energy and communication systems, water, waste management and transport systems – interact with macrosocial trends (e.g., demographic, economic, and political processes) to affect environmental conditions (e.g., air, water, land and workplace) and human health. Coursework and research is aimed at furthering scientific understanding of the ways in which urbanization compromises the physical environment and human health as well as the ways in which it promotes health. topics such as environmental sustainability, environmental justice, economic viability, and political participation are examined.

  • Health Policy and Management (HPM)
    The HPM track prepares students for careers in research, teaching, policy analysis and organizational analysis in the broad fields of health services, health policy, and health management. Students will select a concentration in either Health Policy or Health Management. Students who choose Health Policy as a concentration will develop a nuanced understanding of how a range of mechanisms are systematically associated with policy and influence population health. Students who choose Health Management as a concentration will incorporate organizational theory and analysis in understanding how organizational structures, networks, and behavior influence the health of populations.

    The nutrition concentration prepares students with a prior background in nutrition to conduct research and develop and evaluate interventions on the contribution of food and diet to population health. 

    The Maternal, Child, Reproductive and Sexual Health (MCRSH) concentration prepares students to pursue research or service careers in these areas.

When is the admissions deadline for the CUNY SPH DPH program?

The admissions deadline for the CUNY SPH DPH Program is December 15th.

How long does it take to complete the CUNY DPH degree?

Please see the paths to degree page.

How many credits is the CUNY DPH program?

The degree requires a total of 48 credits post-masters' degree. See the Courses and Curriculum webpage for details.

Where and when are the CUNY DPH program classes held?

The Graduate Center of CUNY at 365 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street.
Classes usually start at 4:15PM or 6:30PM.

What is the tuition for the CUNY DPH program?

Please check the Graduate Center Tuition and Fees webpage.

What types of financial assistance is available?

  • The Graduate Center Office of Financial Aid makes every effort to provide financial assistance for its students.

  • The Graduate Center Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP) is the central administrative unit for overseeing GC-CUNY applications for, and awards of, governmental and foundation funding. The RSP is ready to answer questions about proposal preparation, submission, and administration for the entire GC Community including faculty and staff, Research Centers and Institutes, and, of course, students!

  • The CUNY DPH program offers periodic awards and fellowships.

  • With support from the CUNY SPH Dean, the DPH Program will select a small group of accepted incoming DPH students with a DPH Program Dean’s Fellowship.

Can international students apply to the CUNY DPH program?

Yes. Please check the Graduate Center International Students webpage for details.

What are the admissions requirements for the CUNY DPH program?

Please check the Prospective Students, Admissions Requirements webpage for details on the CUNY DPH program and a link to the Graduate Center admissions requirements.

What are the next steps for learning more about the CUNY DPH program?

1) Please join us for an upcoming Information Session;
2) Determine which Track you would like to apply to;
3) Determine if you have the prerequisites to apply to the Track you are interested in;
4) Contact the Track Coordinator of the Track you are interested in and include:

a) Transcripts (unofficial copies are OK for this purpose)
b) CV/Resume
c) GRE scores (if available at time of inquiry) 


How can CUNY DPH applicants who have been instructed to take Masters Level MPH core before applying to the program register for these courses?

For interested CUNY DPH applicants with a Masters or higher level degree in another discipline, the applicant will need to take five core Masters level public health courses. Please check the Prospective Students, Admissions Requirements webpage for details on the CUNY DPH program and a link to the Graduate Center admissions requirements.

Applicants without an MPH degree must be advised by a CUNY DPH Program Track Coordinator to determine what missing Masters Core must be taken before applying to the program. Please check the What are the next steps for learning more about the CUNY DPH program? drop down on this page. Once an applicant has been informed of missing courses, the applicant should:


  • Proceed to register for course(s) as a non-degree student to a school outside of the CUNY SPH. Please note: it is advised that the applicant forward the course(s) description to the Track Coordinator of intended course of study to make sure that the course(s) will fulfill the DPH program application requirement.
  • If the applicant intends to take a course(s) at the CUNY SPH Brooklyn College or Lehman College campus then the respective campus contact must be contacted with the following documents.  Upon the campus’ approval, the applicant may proceed to register for course(s) as a non-degree student to the CUNY SPH College.  CUNY School of Public Health at Hunter College campus contacts http://sph.cuny.edu/about/contact/

1) Transcripts (unofficial copies are OK for this purpose)

2) CV/Resume

3) GRE scores (if available at time of inquiry)

  • If you intend to take a course(s) at the CUNY SPH at Hunter College you must follow steps 2-7 outlined under the header NON-DEGREE STUDENTS AT CUNY SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH AT THE HUNTER COLLEGE CAMPUS at the below link. Please note that you MUST be registered as a non-degree student at least two months before the start of classes. Additionally, proof of immunizations must go to the wellness center. http://hunter.sph.cuny.edu/sph/hunter-college/admissions/nondegree.html

Women's and Gender Studies MA

Is the MA Program in Women’s and Gender Studies different from the Women’s Studies Certificate Program?

Yes. The Women’s Studies Certificate Program is available only to students enrolled in PhD programs at the Graduate Center.

As a Master’s student, can I participate in a Certificate Program?

No. The Certificate Programs are for PhD Students only.

Can I transfer from MALS to the MA Program?

The Master in Liberal Studies (MALS) and the MA in Women’s and Gender Studies are two separate programs with different admissions processes and requirements.

Can I transfer from the MA Program to MALS?

The MA Program in Women’s and Gender Studies and the MA in Liberal Studies (MALS) are two different programs with different application processes and requirements.

What courses will I be able to enroll in?

The MA in Women’s and Gender Studies requires 30 credits, including 12 credits in the core curriculum (4 core courses), 15 elective credits (5 elective courses), and 3 credits of thesis writing or internship. The core curriculum consists of four 3-credit courses: Feminist Texts and Theories, Global Feminisms, Topics in Women’s and Gender Studies, and a Research Seminar in Theory and Methodology. The elective courses can be taken in any Women’s and Gender Studies related course currently offered at the Graduate Center. Students will choose one of five tracks (Health, Science and Technology; Politics and Policy; Transnational Feminism; Social Cultural, and Literary Analysis; and LGBTQ studies) by taking at least three courses related to the track. The elective courses will change every term, and incorporate a diverse selection of material and instructors. For a sample of the courses previously offered, see the Women’s and Gender Studies Certificate Program Course Listings. If a student is interested in taking a course not listed through the MA Program, they must consult with the Women’s and Gender Studies Director. See requirements for more information.

What are the requirements beyond coursework?

All students are required to complete either a thesis of approximately 50 pages or an internship. Students will be supervised by faculty in the program who will serve as their thesis advisers, and by the director of the MA program. See requirements for more information.

For my internship or thesis, which faculty member will I be able to work with?

The MA Program in Women’s and Gender Studies offers students the possibility of studying with a large array of well-established scholars in the CUNY system. It is expected that students will choose a faculty member who is familiar with their work to supervise the internship or thesis, in consultation with the MA Program Director. See here for a full listing of current Women’s and Gender Studies faculty at CUNY.

When is the application due?

The deadline for completed applications is February 1st. For more information or to apply, see the Admissions page.

How long will it take me to finish the MA?

Someone attending full-time could complete the degree in 1.5 years.  Part-time students will have up to 4 years to complete the degree.

Upon completing the MA Program, can I continue on to a PhD Program?

There is not a PhD Program in Women’s and Gender Studies at CUNY. However, students may seek to apply their MA credits to a PhD program at CUNY or another institution.

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is the same for any program at the Graduate Center. See the Admissions page for the most up to date terms and fees.

Can I waive the application fee?

The application fee is only waived for United States Armed Services Veterans, MacNair Scholars, and to any student who has graduated from a CUNY college with a bachelor or master’s degree or who will have graduated from one before starting at the Graduate Center. See the Admissions page for more information.

What should I do if I have questions regarding the application process?

Questions regarding the Admissions process should be directed to the Admissions office. Questions regarding the MA Program may be directed to the Director.

If I am not coming directly out of undergraduate studies, can I still apply?

Yes. The MA Program in Women’s and Gender welcomes students who have recently completed their Bachelor’s degree as well as students who are coming from a professional background.

I am an international student; can I still apply?

Yes. We encourage international students to apply. For more information on applying to CUNY as an international student, see Prospective Students: International Students.

If I am not coming directly out of undergraduate studies, whom should I request recommendation letters from?

Your two recommendations letters may be written by anyone in a professional supervising position who can speak to your work. See the application instructions for further information.

If I am not coming directly out of undergraduate studies, what can I submit for a writing sample?

The writing sample of 10-15 pages should be in an essay format and should demonstrate your ability to express ideas clearly and effectively.  It does not have to come from a class assignment; for example, it could be a policy document or a literary essay.

If I am an international student, can I submit my writing sample in any language other than English?

No. Because almost all of the course work and the thesis or internship will be conducted in English only, it is expected that students applying be proficient in English. Your writing sample and all other application documents must be submitted in English. International students are also required to submit TOEFL test scores or other verification of their ability to communicate in English. For more information, see Prospective Students: International Students: English Language Requirements.

Will I be able to transfer credits from another program?

Generally, all MA students must complete the required courses at the Graduate Center. However, exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis. Students interested in transferring credits must consult with the Women’s and Gender Studies Director.

Is there a PhD Program in Women’s and Gender Studies?

No. At this time, there is not a PhD Program in Women’s and Gender Studies at CUNY. However, other institutions do offer a comparable PhD Program. See our Resources page for a list of other Women’s and Gender Studies Programs.

Are there other Master’s programs in Women’s and Gender studies in the region?

The MA Program in Women’s and Gender Studies at the Graduate Center is the first of its kind in the New York metropolitan area. However, there are other MA and PhD programs in New York state and the Northeast region, as well as across the country. See our Resources page for a list of other Women’s and Gender Studies Programs.

Will I be able to enroll in courses at the consortium schools, including NYU and Columbia?

No. The Inter-University Doctoral Consortium (IUDC) is open to doctoral students from participating schools who have completed at least one year of full-time study (or equivalent) toward the Ph.D. Please be advised that Terminal Masters students are not eligible.