IT Associate, Level 1 (Provisional) - Digital Services
- Job Class: Information Technology
- Job ID Number: 9975
- Department: Macaulay Honors College
- Location: Macaulay Honors College
- Closing Date: FEB 5, 2014
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Inaugurated in the Fall of 2001 as the CUNY Honors College, the William E. Macaulay Honors College of the City University of New York (MHC) is dedicated to providing outstanding educational opportunities for academically gifted students from the five boroughs of New York City and beyond. The Honors College program includes generous financial support for students who are designated University Scholars upon admission. In addition, the Honors College offers its students unique interdisciplinary seminars focusing on New York City, access to instructional technology, dedicated mentors and advisors, internships, study abroad experiences and a Cultural Passport that provides entrée to the vast cultural resources of New York City. The Honors College operates in consortium on seven CUNY campuses: Baruch College, Brooklyn College, City College, Hunter College, Lehman College, Queens College, and the College of Staten Island. Currently, the Honors College has approximately 1,200 University Scholars enrolled on all seven campuses.
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Teaching, Learning and Technology, the Digital Services Associate will perform support, planning, and development tasks for the college's website, multimedia facilities, online applications, and desktop computers as well as assisting the Network/System Manager in server, networking, and IP telephony management.
- Completing assigned complex projects, resolving complex problems with little or no supervision, and explaining and giving instructions to others in implementing solutions to these problems.
- Taking charge of AV setup and instruction to others for outside events, staff meetings, and classes.
- Assisting in developing and ensuring security procedures for software, networks, and data and communicating these clearly to the staff.
- Assists staff with desktop Tech Support issues (hardware/printer issues/software/connection issues).
- Serves as liaison between Communications Department and IT Department, aligning projects and ensuring the availability of technology tools necessary to carry out objectives.
- Provides IT workshops during for staff and prospective students.
- Designs and produces media assets.
- Manages printing services for students/event posters.
- Assists in budget management and prepares purchasing requisitions and tracks their progress through CUNYFirst (ERP).
- Prepares written proposals for classroom design, multimedia projects, and technology acquisition.
- Provides data and other input for University-wide development and support initiatives, including annual inventory, security assessments, and construction and installation of equipment.
- Assists with user authentication project and evaluates and implements new open source applications.
- Develops bid specifications for new projects.
- Serves on search committees for communications and IT staff positions.
- Coordinates with vendors/consultants on special projects related to web communications, social media and multimedia.
- Undertakes additional training as needed.
- Trains and assists in supervision of Tech Support staff.
I.T. Associates perform moderately complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Associates work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving complex technology problems and serving as a technical resource. They have considerable latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may have supervisory responsibilities.
I.T. Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at
1. High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
2. An equivalent of seven years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: seven years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus five years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus three years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
3. Demonstrated English Language proficiency
4. A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This job has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- Baccalaureate Degree from an accredited college and six years of full time, progressively responsible experience in systems and network support and administration
- Experience in the higher education environment and understanding of the academic setting.
- Flexible; able to multitask, work well under pressure, and handle administrative and technical duties
- Exceptionally strong communication and collaboration skills
- Familiarity with a wide range of hardware products and software applications including Macintosh and Windows desktop and laptop workstations
- Familiarity with open source applications
How To Apply
Please apply by using the link below:
***If you are unable to upload your application please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.Make sure to indicate which position you are applying for and that you have submitted your application online.***
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.