Associate Librarian - Public Services & Scholarly Communication (Associate Professor - Tenure Track)
- Job Class: Faculty
- Job ID Number: 6794
- Department: Mina Rees Library
- Location: The Graduate Center
- Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Reporting to the Chief Librarian the Associate Librarian for Public Services & Scholarly Communication manages and coordinates reference, instruction, access, and resource sharing services. Facilitates development of the library's scholarly communications projects and coordinates with relevant efforts in progress at the Graduate Center and across CUNY. May assume responsibilities of Chief Librarian in the Chief's absence.
- Coordinates library public service planning, integration, and assessment. Manages and designs reference service, oversees library reference service and instruction training. Supervises interlibrary loan and circulation services. Supervises library faculty in library instruction activities. Provides guidance and research assistance at the reference desk as well as via phone, e-mail, and other networks. Provides classroom instruction and reference consultation by appointment. Establishes public service procedures, explores and introduces new technologies to enhance public service and to improve library work flow. Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
- Coordinates the library's scholarly communications programs. Develops library initiatives and tools to support Graduate Center research; coordinates efforts to effectively distribute Graduate Center scholarship; establishes programs to facilitate understandings about open access publishing, copyright, intellectual property issues, and publication practices across disciplines. Develops instruction programs to support research, teaching, and career advancement. Works in cooperation with library subject liaisons and faculty to establish an effective, evolving range of library service.
- Participates in collection development activities, coordinating with the Associate Librarian for Collection Management. Serves as a library subject specialist providing targeted service to assigned departments.
- Participates in systems analysis, development and testing the library web services in collaboration with the Digital Services Librarian, the reference staff, and relevant others.
- Represents the Graduate Center Library in select CUNY-wide settings, in correspondence, and in meetings with a variety of students, faculty, and librarians from peer institutions and networks. Collaborates with these and other entities to improve library services. Maintains professional currency in relevant areas of librarianship, technology, and higher education.
- Participates in selection, training, and evaluation of library faculty and staff. Directly supervises 3-4 FTE reference librarians and the heads of interlibrary loan and circulation services. May supervise library interns and adjunct faculty in reference, instruction and special projects.
- Manages the collection, maintenance, and effective application of library service statistics.
- Produces scholarly research and provides academic service in accordance with the library's tenure and promotion criteria
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution, plus an additional Master's or Ph. D. required. Five or more years of relevant academic or research library experience in increasingly responsible positions, at least one of which has been in public services. Demonstrated knowledge of best practices and current issues in librarianship, scholarly communication, and higher education. Successful record of library service planning and implementation. Record of scholarly achievement and service is required for tenure and promotion. Demonstrated ability to lead, mentor, and motivate staff; excellent presentation, interpersonal, writing, and communication skills.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
How To Apply
Open until filled with review of applications to begin November 15, 2012
Please send resume, cover letter, and the names and address of three professional references to: email@example.com
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/IRCA/Americans with Disabilities Act Employer.
The Graduate Center complies with the Clery Act and copies of its annual report on security policies and statistics are available in its Security Office.